wmarskell

War Of The Worlds.

maybe it will just be a corpse of dakota fanning, like burnt to a swingset like on terminator 2....you know, they just flash her name around to make it sound like she will have an important role in the movie, just like that one with DeNiro.

I've never seen the classic, and apparently theres a big twist in the end which Im avoiding until I see the new one with Tom Cruise.

Turns out that

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
aliens are allergic to water.

I saw it opening night and I really liked it. I wouldn't say that it was excellent, and I don't think that it was good as Minority Report, but i still definitely enjoyed watching it. The acting was good and all of the actors seemed to have convincing chemistry (or lack thereof). Certainly worth watching.

it was released yesterday in Spain... don't know if i'm gonna go watch it or wait for the DVD and rent it...

for those who have already seen it, is it worth paying a movie theater ticket to watch it?

there were some flaws of course. for instance, when the aliens land, they cause an EMP like effect, renderring all electronics useless. now, i understand how mr. cruise gets the van working, but all the people taking pictures of the storm suddenly have power back to their electronics?? the camera even FOCUSSED on one person using a digital camera to record the whole thing... i didnt get that.

I figured this out last night. When an EMP goes off, it only affects things that have some sort of electrical current going through, anything that's turned on at that exact moment. If you have something that's off or has no battery in it at the time, then it won't be affected, and you'll be able to turn it on afterwards. Parked cars would end up affected by this too, because they still have some power going through it for things like the clock or alarm system.

some might say there are spoilers ahead....

i really thought it was poop. but that's just a problem with the story, not the actual movie itself. spielberg made the film look fantastic, and cruise was alright. i forgot that he was a nutjob for an hour or so.

there were some flaws of course. for instance, when the aliens land, they cause an EMP like effect, renderring all electronics useless. now, i understand how mr. cruise gets the van working, but all the people taking pictures of the storm suddenly have power back to their electronics?? the camera even FOCUSSED on one person using a digital camera to record the whole thing... i didnt get that. also, the fact that tom cruise was able to outrun the aliens when no one else was, the fact that his son can run towards the aliens along side a military convoy and ends up being the only survivor. also, boston remained completely untouched. that's convenient.

finally the end "twist" or whatever that suggested that we as men are somehow entitled to this planet because we've been here the longest is bullshit. it may have worked when the book was first written, but it would've been a tad more interesting to see a new spin on that. oooOOOOooOOO we're really so significant that the only thing that stops an alien invasion is the countless amount of diseases that our planet is full of, due to thousands of years of our filthy habits. nice.

I thought the film was well done, it was intense, well paced and, most importantly, entertaining...Not sure why people expected it to be some kind of epic masterpeice, it is meant to be a pop corn flick, nothing else, and it is far superior than most Hollywood action films that are shoved down the general publics throats each year.

I would definately recommend it.

Cheers,

JK

For years i have had horrible nightmares about tripods. This movie made me very uneasy at times. But i also found ti very well done. Except for some minor plot holes (camcorder/EMP).

also, it could have used more tripod action in my opinion. this movie was great,