wmarskell

War Of The Worlds.

I dug it.

I was afraid of a horrible ending, after reading several reviews, but I was pleased by it.

I saw a lot of elements of previous Spielberg films in it, most notably Jurassic Park...the scene of them trying to hide from the alien "tentacle" brought memories of the kids hiding from the raptors.

all in all....7/10. Good summer popcorn fare.

The movie was great and all...

But according to RadarMagazine.com, before Cruise started dating Katie Holmes, he invited actress Scarlett Johansson to a Scientology center where he showed her literature about the church. "After two hours of proselytizing," according to the website, "Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ing

Ok... I haven't seen this one - but I've heard really mixed reviews. So far this is what i've heard:

Pros:

Really really REALLY good effects

Things blow up cool

Cruise wasn't as bad as expected

Cons:

Storyline

Huge gaps in logic and plausibility

Unreasonably long for the content

I was a huge fan of the book, and even took a stab at the radio series...Should I be spending my $10 in the theatre???

Ok this was one hell of a movie. I wanna go see it again.....but, what the hell was up with the ending!!?? Its like they ran out of time and just decided to wrap everything up in 2 minutes! If maybe there was another 3 hours added on and they spent more time showing the decline of the aliens I would've given it top marks....but sadly it only get 7.5/10. Tom Cruise was great. Dakota Fanning really got on my nerves when she kept screaming but she made up for it with this line from the movie:

Dakota- I'm allergic to peanut butter.

Tom- Since when have you been allergic to peanut butter?

Dakota- Since birth!

Hahahaa good shit!

My favorite was: "Is it the terrorists?"

Yep. I was just going to comment on how "americanized" the movie was. That seemed really hoaky to me. All in all I thought it was pretty good. Really amazing effects. I thought the ending was cut short too but one of my friends told me that that's how it happens in the radio play. All of the sudden the aliens die really quickly and without much lead in.

What was really fucking stupid was electro magnetic storms knock out car batteries, cell phone batteries, even the kid's iPod, yet some fuck is filming the shit with his video camera and Tom Cruise is putting batteries in the flashlight.

Worst movie of 2005, fucking retarded. Every aspect of it, Speilberg hasn't made anything good since Jurassic Park. Don't get me started on Tom Cruise, fuck I wish I had downloaded it so then I could turn it off without feeling like getting my moneys worth, but shit I should have just watched Batman or Wedding Crashers again.

watching it on the big screen was great..

a head full of amyl, cocktailed with some opiates.. it was "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment.

watching it at home though.. different experience.. i was too critical, drunk i think.. and somewhat uninterested.. i keep thinking to myself.. this movie directed by speilberg has great elements of Jurassic Park and Schindler's List.. which is probably why he was chosen, or a good candidate for the project.

The movie was mostly just about survival and necessity. it was basic, but thats what caught me the first time i seen it.. so different from every other alien invasion flick.