carv

Beautiful Midnight "post Grunge"?

Is Beautiful Midnight really "post-grunge"? If it's post grunge, then what's grunge? The bands from Seattle in the early 90's? What other bands are "post grunge" and what makes them post grunge!!? Is it not just alt-rock? sorry i'm a newb at music definitions

Grunge music (sometimes also referred to as the Seattle Sound) is an independent-rooted music genre that became a commercially successful offshoot of hardcore punk, thrash metal, and alternative rock in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Bands from cities in the U.S. Pacific Northwest, such as Seattle, Olympia, Washington, and Portland, Oregon, were responsible for creating grunge music and later made it popular with mainstream audiences. The genre is closely associated with Generation X, due to its popularization being in tandem with the popularizing of the generation's name.

And:

Post-grunge was a radio-friendly variation of grunge which lacked the "dirty" sound that most fans of grunge were used to. The sub-genre is generally believed to have came about at the behest of label executives who wanted to sell a variation of grunge that would sell to a larger audience as a result of sounding more like pop music. In the mid 1990s, record labels began signing several bands who used such a sound and gave them wide exposure. While some of these bands, such as Silverchair and Bush, were able to gain widespread success, many fans of grunge denounced post-grunge bands as being sell-outs. This is most notable in the cases of Candlebox and Collective Soul, who were reviled by most grunge fans. Even the commercial successful post-grunge bands would be given such accusations by grunge fans, causing most of them to have shorter spurts of popularity than earlier grunge bands. As grunge began to disappear from the mainstream, later post-grunge bands such as Creed and Days of the New would also recieve such negative treatment by fans of the genre.

-http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/grunge

I was once reading an amateur review of avalanche, the idiot described the album as "post-grunge"

I'm really confused as to where avalanche fits in as a musical category. It's nowhere close to anything I've heard.

I was once reading an amateur review of avalanche, the idiot described the album as "post-grunge"

I'm really confused as to where avalanche fits in as a musical category. It's nowhere close to anything I've heard.

yeah, and if you tried to call it something other than just "alternative" you come out with something convoluted and strange like "post-grunge-neo-folk-rock"

yeah, people sure are stupid...

avalanche, is, well, avalanche. easily one of the best albums i've ever heard. my favourite mg album. though i love them all...