Moonlight_Graham

Nanotechnology, The Death Of Us All?

I think about this sometimes. Imagine its the year 2040. Some shady nanotechnology company in China creates these microscopic machines that can fly around and go up your nose, and begin slicing the crap out of your brain tissue with its spinning mini-razorblades...or just simply self-destruct inside your brain and kills you.

How the fuck can you defend against that? Wear a gas-mask 24/7? Eventually this type of technology will advance to this level of maturity, and could create mechanical micro-viruses, or something like i mentioned above etc. Scary.

(BTW, i just made a pretty cool concept for a movie or novel. I am the next Tom Clancy....if i could write.) ;)

You don't have to be able to write to be a Tom Clancy, anyone who has read Tom Clancy'd know that.

But this nanotechnology of death in 2040 is an optimistic prospect the way I see it, would mean that humanity would actually last till 2040.

Well, you'd actually be Michael Crichton, because he already wrote something like that. It's called Prey, and it was released about two years ago. It's an excellent book, you should read it.

Why in China? You racist?

I'm joking, btw. I read this thingy in Maxim a few years ago (Pre-9/11). It talked about different threats facing the United States. It talked about easy ways terrorists could kill people, like putting gases in ventilation systems.

Shit like that is fairly easy to do, and can kill thousands.

I'm more afraid of the day the US and China go at it, with conventional and nuclear arms.

Yeah, it'll happen eventually.

But hey, look at the brightside, out of the eight billion people that live in the world, what'll be the chances that:

1) It'll be you.

2) You'll be alive then?

Mind you, the human race actually has to survive until 2040 for this to all happen.

I figure around 2010 everything will collapse, in one form or another. It's inevitable.

The only problem w/ Moonlights defense is that the nano machines will probally be so small that gas masks wont help.

Plus the most likely nanomachines that will be developed are dissaseemblers. It'll likely be a molecule that takes apart carbon chains. Shitty thing about that is nothing will protect you, even your lvl 5 bio hazard suit has those pesky carbon's in them.

Another couple good books on the subject nto as good as prey though, is Moonrise and Moonwar (I think) by Ben Bova.

Hmm...Dave, you've sparked my interest in the subject...I think I might read into this a bit more. I've known about it for awhile..through my magazine subsriptions and off-to-the-side reasearch.

At least it wouldn't hurt....to begin with. I can see it happening now...sitting at the dinner table eating supper with your family...and you get a nose bleed. Totally surreal.

At least it wouldn't hurt....to begin with. I can see it happening now...sitting at the dinner table eating supper with your family...and you get a nose bleed. Totally surreal.

ahhh, but there will also be nanomachines fighting on the side of good, that will be able to fly up your nose and unclog all the snot up there during pesky allergy season.

Now THAT would make a great kids cartoon. I'll call it "Nano-nosers of Justice!"

never mind.

Some of the neater things that they've come up with so far are:

A DNA molecule that acts a tiny spring.

Bucky Balls

Some guy came up with microcapsules of glass that open at a specific ph or temp the idea being to be able to direct chemo more accuratly in the body

theres others but I can think of them off hand atm

lol to clarify for those who dont know

"buckyballs" are molecules of carbon with 60 carbon atoms in them (and some hyrdogens filing up the extra spaces)

Whats neat about them is that the structure of the bonds looks like the patren on a traditional soccer ball with the so many octagons and so may hexagons. Plus they're insanly strong for thier size.

Bah, why do people always have to make up wild ideas of nano-robots. Nanotech (a stupid term anyways, most "nano" tech stuff is really on the scale of a micron) is just a buzz word. I mean, really, what is chemistry, 90% of chemistry is "nano" technology. Basically, what I'm saying is why do people have to come up with wild and crazy ideas (that are not feasible) to make something as inherently interesting as nanoscale fabrication and self-assembly more interesting.

I look at stuff like carbon nanotubes, quantum dots, quantum rings, single electron transistors, nano-mechanical oscillators, DNA motors, DNA computation etc, etc.

If someone really wanted to kill us all, they don't have to wait until 2040 to use nanotechnology. Get real.

Just create some more high profile celebrity couples and have them all break up at the same time. I almost died when Bennifer and Tom and Nicole broke up. If that happened at the same time, I'd be posting here no more.