Neil Young treated for aneurysm

Neil Young

Young inducted The Pretenders into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Guitarist, singer and songwriter Neil Young has been treated for a brain aneurysm in hospital in New York.

The Canadian rock star, 59, underwent the operation on Tuesday and doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

"Mr Young was treated successfully by the minimally invasive neuroradiology team," said Dr Pierre Gobin. "He is now resting comfortably."

Young played with Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, but is best known for his solo work.

He had been expected to perform at Canada's Juno music awards on Sunday, but has been advised by doctors not to travel for several days.

'Disappointed'

"I'm really disappointed that I won't be able to make it to Winnipeg for the Junos as I had hoped," said Young.

"I grew up there and was really looking forward to the show as well as spending some time with my old friends and family.

"Thanks to my doctors, I'm feeling a lot better now so I hope I can get a rain check."

The aneurysm was discovered when Young's vision became blurred following his participation at the induction ceremonies to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month, according to his publicist Bob Merlis.

An examination by a neurologist detected the aneurysm and the operation was scheduled.

Young, whose body of work over 30 years is acclaimed for its depth and diversity, continues to tour extensively. His most recent album was the concept album Greendale, re-released in 2004.

well it seems as though he's alright despite the aneurysm... but it still sucks that he had one. it could've been a lot worse, thankfully it wasn't.