Dan #2

Has Religion Done More Good Than Bad?

Religion has done more good than bad  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Religion has done more good than bad

• True
    • False
    • Undecided/Idon't Know

The question i love to give die-hards of religion is: " If god is omnicient, and all religions believe it is, than how can we have free will?" it is simply impossible, you cannot have a creater knowing exactly what your going to do, and have free will to do what you want at the same time. That was really the final nail in the coffin for me in terms of religion. Its all a bunch of hooey!

john milton's 'paradise lost' touches on that topic a bit... the whole idea of 'god's plan'. this is of course, milton's own thoughts on the topic, not necessarily my own. just something interesting to consider. when satan falls, he realizes that no matter what he does, it all fits into god's plan. he could do the most horrible of acts, but because everything fits into god's plan, nothing he does is truely evil since it all fits into god's plan, which is purely good. so whatever satan does, he can't be a true rebel. so yeah, that negates the whole idea of free will.

also, a character in the film "waking life" (good movie, you all should see it if you haven't) argues that at its simplest, our lives are governed by chemical reactions. when i have a thought, it's basically just electricity passing through chemicals in my brain. but when i have these thoughts, is it me thinking these first or am i just doing this because of the chemical reactions in my body? so how do we know that existence itself isn't the same sort of thing? how do we know that we're all not just one big chemical reaction just going through the motions? the dude said it better, but hopefully you get the jist of it.

finally, i would just like to add something for all the people here who think that people who belong to a certain religion or faith are somewhat weaker or more dependant and therefore aren't thinking for themselves and just 'sheep'. your faith in your own intellect is the same thing as those people's faith in a higher power.

WAKING LIFE = BEST MOVIE EVER.

I saw it earlier this year and was blown away, not for the type to enjoy just sitting back and vegging out though, you have to understand a lot of terminology that some people ( no offence but younger people) may not understand. But great movie to get you thinking.

Plus Alex Jones makes a cameo ( he's that red dude freaking out in his car with the microphone) hilarious paranoid dude, but some of his stuff is worth loooking at.