guitarchick

Homosexuality

What do you think of Homosexuality?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Homosexuality?

• As long as someone of the same sex doesn't try to get into my pants, I'm okay with it. of it.I
    • Homosexuality is wrong.
    • I am gay and ashamed.
    • I am bisexual and ashamed
    • I am gay and proud of it
    • am bisexual and proud of it.
    • I don't like gay men
    • I don't like lesbians

A lisp is just a stereotypical characteristic of a gay person. Not all people I know who have lisps are gay and not all gay people I know have lisps.

I'm not sure who this is directed at but I never said otherwise.

And insober, you've never met a gay person with a lisp? Come on.

A lisp is just a stereotypical characteristic of a gay person. Not all people I know who have lisps are gay and not all gay people I know have lisps.

I'm not sure who this is directed at but I never said otherwise.

And insober, you've never met a gay person with a lisp? Come on.

Just expanding on the fact that a lisp i sonly a stereotypical characteristic used when gay people are portrayed. Not really directed at anyone, really.

A lisp is a fucking speech impediment, being gay doesn’t mean you automatically get a fucking speech impediment.

exactly, it is not a speech impediment typical of gay people... since it is a speech disorder, it may affect anybody... sorry but still "confused" of what all this with lisping have to do with gay people...

A lisp is a fucking speech impediment, being gay doesn’t mean you automatically get a fucking speech impediment.

exactly, it is not a speech impediment typical of gay people... since it is a speech disorder, it may affect anybody... sorry but still "confused" of what all this with lisping have to do with gay people...

It's just another stereotype.

And Dan, not sure who you're directing your comments at either because no one said every gay person has a speech impediment. In fact, if you read the posts I think you'll find quite the opposite. It was used as an example, but people seem to have run with it and freaked out over something that no one here said.

It's just a stereotype, I don't think you can argue that. And it was just used as an example. Take a deep breath...

in Spain, for example, lisping is a dialectal variation of Spanish in the south: something very typical from Andalusian people... in this case, it doesnt even have to do anything with a speech disorder, it is just a linguistic variation of Spanish for a specific group of people (and not impaired by a language disorder)

maybe it is true that it is a stereotype, but it doesnt work in this case because not all Andalusians are gay

For the people that did not understand my post. A lisp is a speech inpediment. Which means they are disabled. Following? Good, now there may well be some homosexuals that are disabled, HOWEVER! Being gay doesn't mean you have a lisp. Having a lisp doesn't mean you are gay.

DISCLAIMER: When I say "diability" I don't mean they can't walk, I mean they have a problem speaking.

Find another way of describing "the way gays speak." Which frankly should be called an "accent." What do the French sound like when they speak English? LIKE THEY HAVE A FUCKING FRENCH ACCENT!

So, before you go comparing homosexuality to a disability, think things through.

Edit - I used a "z" instead of a comma.

Edited by Dan

the only reason why i brought the lisp up was because i was confused. a lot of gay men do USE a lisp, meaning they don't have to talk that way, but they do, because it's almost expected of them to act feminine and i dont understand it. for example, my friend's mom's brother is gay. when he would speak to us he wouldnt have a lisp, but any time his gay friends would come over, suddenly the lisp would come out. yeah i realize not all gay men do that... but you see it a lot. and obviously not all of these people have speech impediments... so i'm wondering why some do it at all.

EDIT: also, where the fuck is the "i accept gay people but am not gay myself" button on this stupid poll???

Edited by borntohula

again ;) lisping is NOT always a speech impediment: it is also a dialectal variation (like the example i posted before)

lisp n 1 a speech defect in which s and z are pronounced like the th sounds in English thin and then respectively. vb 2 to speak with a lisp. [Old English wlisp lisping (imitative)]

Yeah, so it would appear that I would be correct, cuz I'm not seeing anything in there about dialect variations, which are jusy that dialect variations. A lisp, as I have mentioned before is a speech impediment, or a defect. A lisp is not something that is done on purpose, it is something that is caused by a singular event or even at birth.

My arguement is not that "gay people don't sometimes talk in that stereotypical way that Jack on Will and Grace does." However, one must realize that "Jack" is as far out in left field as possible, he's a character and by definition "an unusual or amusing person." And Will's the straight man. By "straight" I do not mean anything other than he's Jack's polar opposite in the stereotype.

So in summation, lisp is the incorrect word to use when describing "how gay people sound."

I think we're pretty much in agreement with you Dan that it's just a stereotype that some people use. You seem to be trying to make an argument out of nothing for some wierd reason.

However, you can link to Wikipedia all you want and get as technical as you want, but in normal speech when people refer to "how gay people sound", as you so delicately put it, people call it a lisp. That's why we're calling it a lisp, be it right or not, it's just what people say.

My favorite thing is when religious people are afraid that if children are around gay people, then they will "turn" gay.

Firstly, there's really no proof that it works that way.

And Secondly, if the child is around gay people, the freaky religious person is probably the only one worried about the possibility of the child being gay.

It's so silly and narrow-minded.

i just started reading the red part, and when i got to: "creation science has taught us that lisping is caused when satan elongates the tonge" i started laughing hysterically. man i can't believe people like this exist... please tell me this is fake...

i have a feeling that it might be, since it links you to the "NRA's Kooky Kidz Korner" emphasis on the 'K'.

also, the link to this thing made me somewhat doubtful the site was real: lock 'n load jesus

I think we're pretty much in agreement with you Dan that it's just a stereotype that some people use. You seem to be trying to make an argument out of nothing for some wierd reason.

However, you can link to Wikipedia all you want and get as technical as you want, but in normal speech when people refer to "how gay people sound", as you so delicately put it, people call it a lisp. That's why we're calling it a lisp, be it right or not, it's just what people say.

I agree with Ryan...

It's sad to think that people actually believe that rehab could actually change a homosexual into a heterosexual. I think some of these intervention type tactics probably just force the subject to go into a denial phase and pretend to be hetero. It's not a choice. And I don't think that the devil tongue is the indicator either, but I'm no doctor.