matrix

Presentation, On Matt?

So, I'm trying to get this position at a new job, and they want me to do a presentation. They don't care what I do it on, it just has to be between 7-10 mins. So, I'm thinking about doing it on the history of MGB and Matt as a solo artist, but I'm having some trouble. I'm most likely going to write a little essay, and then do a slide show. I don't know, any ideas?

Doesn't seem like a lot of people are commenting on this, so I'll put in my two cents...

My personal opinion is to not do it on Matt. Depending on the job you're applying for of course... To me it seems a little fan-boyish to do a specific artist. I would be worried that the employer would perceive this as being a little immature. If I really wanted to do it about something musical though, but something a little more... professional... I would be more inclined to do it on, say, a specific period of music, and the evolution of it at that time, say the 90's. You could even focus on Canadian music in the 90's to somehow squeeze Matt in there :angry: Not to mention, they would probably find it much more interesting, since they probably aren't all that familiar with Matt.

Of course, I don't know what the job is, but this is my personal opinion on it. They may have said you can pick anything you want, but really, I'm sure the topic you chose is going to have some bearing on whether or not you get the job. I know it's more in the delivery, but still :angry: If two people deliver a presentation with the same skill, and one is on beer, and the other is on fine wines and cheeses of France, which one do you think the employer is going to be more impressed with?

I know that WE would be more impressed with the beer one, but that isn't really the point. We would be more impressed with the Matt one too...

( Haha, all of this coming from me, the girl that did the history of Matt Good project (in report form) in college, haha! Got a great mark, too ;) )

Good luck with the interview! Hope the presentation goes well!

I think it is a good idea: talking about MG's history in music and how he has influenced other Canadian artists or talking about his huge (at least as shown here) group of fans ;)

also mentioning the two basic periods in his music history (MGB and MG), his changes, his new style... dont know, things like that

I agree with Mercy. Don't do it on Matt. I'm sure there are people who are just as passionate about Hillary Duff and that kind of musical fluff. But if we saw a presentation by someone who is a fan we would think that person is a little weird/obsessed/geeky.

The whole Canadian music spectrum is a great idea. If I ever had to do a presentation I think I would do that same idea, and I'm from the States.

Edited by zebrahead

Well, time to respond. Thanks for all your comments. I decided not to do the presentation on Matt. Some of you were right, it did seem a little fanboyish.

The presentation I did decide to do went really well, I think. I'll have to wait and hear.

Edited by matrix