Well if OLP are has beens, then Matt Good must be a never was, because they sure are a lot more popular than he is these days. If you're going to tell me too that record sales don't make a has been, then exactly what criteria does it require?

Oh yeah and how many times does Matt say "yeah yeah" in Double-Life? Oh yeah, that takes a hell of a lot more talent than saying "Come on" several times.

I like both songs in question and realize it's all a matter of subjectivity, but if you're just going to complain about stupid shit like that don't expect me to take your opinion seriously.

-Marc

I think comparing a song that says "yeah, yeah" about 5 times as it ends, with a song that uses "come on" about 20 times as one of the main parts of the song, and does so several times, also doesn't need to be taken seriously. I'd also like to point out "hey! you!" "where are you? Where are you!?"(x20 fo r the chorus) "This could be the best day(x10)...of our lives!" etc. Seems to me that they've caught on to The Killers technique of meaningless phrases repeated ad nauseam seems to make the kids dance.

I've hated OLP for a long time, but I still prefer them over MANY other bands, so I'm not just bashing the song because of some personal vendetta. Don't get all snippity there chum. If you find yourself singing along to this song, I think you need to seriously consider reassessing your life.

P.S. Please note I'm just horribly long winded and don't care about this subject in the least.

Edited by The_Rat_Who_Would_be_King

Seems to me that they've caught on to The Killers technique of meaningless phrases repeated ad nauseam seems to make the kids dance.

YEAH! Like what the shit does "i've got soul but i'm not a soldier" even MEAN? The two words aren't even related in ANY common context except phonetical pronounciation. Maybe if 30 or 40% of soldiers are jazz musicians i'd give them a break. But that's not the case, so i hope The Killers live up to their name and get incarcerated in a prison where we'll never have to hear about them again.

Don't diss the Maida dude...I'm the cock he was ridding and it twas good.

dude... i CLEARLY said coke-ridden, not cock-riding. you kinda jumped the gun on that one my friend, lol.

and as far as what "dudelove721" said about our lady peace v.s matt good, i don't consider popularity a thing that determines one's relevance. big deal, they get played on much music more. so do the killers and tonnes of other bands i don't care for. matt good takes chances. he's willing to make a record like WLRRR and face the fact that not everyone is going to embrace the new sound. our lady peace are a product of arnold lanni, and have basically re-written "hope" for every record of theirs. nice. what an accomplishment. they can have their popularity, none of it matters anyway: "but i was never cool, so you can call me loser".

as far as the lyrics in question, i personally believe that when the song is mainly comprised of nonsensical pairings and randomness meant only to make a song "anthemic", it's a bit different than throwing in a few "yeahs" in and around the song. i can't believe you're actually willing to argue that that new OLP song has better lyrics than double life...

In my mind, there is no question that Matthew Good is more talented than OLP are now. Whether it be lyrically, instrumentally, vocally, whatever. But, I do believe that Naveed through Spiritual Machines were all excellent albums. Sure, you could say that Our Lady Peace are not a great band or never were, however, it would be a lot tougher to say that those four ablums did not contain a range of originality and talent. In fact, Clumsy stands as easily one of my top 5 favorite albums.

both clumsy and spiritual machines were the creative blips in OLP's career. im not denying that they've accomplished some great things in the past, but now, to me, they aren't doing anything worth listenning to. they're flogging a dead horse, and michael maida's ego is getting in the way (insisting on being called raine, having the songs be credited to raine maida/our lady peace, and not just our lady peace, etc) of the band, not to mention the fact that they have one hell of a boring producer at the helm.

i'd say that they're overrated at this point in time.

Edited by borntohula

I've now heard 5 of the 12 tracks from the cd (I don't have the whole cd, just these 5 songs) and it is better than gravity. I can just tell from these tracks. They show potential. They're all very catchy and Where Are You is the worst of the 5, in my mind. Will The Future Blame Us is quite good. But... you can still hear the over production from Bob Rock, and it's just not pleasant. Nothing stands out, it's just too clean and too simple. Every song just kind of flows too smoothly, there's nothing standoutish about any of them. I don't know, the cd will be worth getting, but as of now, I'm still a bit dissapointed. Then again, I suppose I was very foolish expecting much better.

It took me days to find the one person on Soulseek who had it, but i finally got it.

And honestly, I love it. Wayyyy better than Gravity, and I'd say that it can compare to their first four, though i'd say it's probably the worst of them.

Apology is one of their best songs yet.

hmmm olp has it very own thread! ...

our lady peace are great. their first 4 albums are phenomenal, IMO. everyone knows that gravity was their 180degree turn from their previous music, due to their change in producer and guitarist and recording method. i'm not saying gravity was a great album either. personally i like some songs off gravity, but they are nothing compared to the first 4 albums (naveed, clumsy, happiness..., and spiritual machines) where i loved every song.

the new album from olp is to be called "healthy in paranoid times" as i'm sure many of you might have heard already... i haven't downloaded the new album yet just so i don't ruin it for myself yet but i'm definitely hearing good things about the album. we have some of the toughest music critics on one of the olp boards and some songs off the new album are quite noteworthy, such as the u2esque "boy", "apology", "love and trust", "angels losing sleep" (which there is a clip of in the official olp site), and "al genina (leave a light on)".

what i've always loved about olp despite gravity is that they've never repeated themselves in the sound or the vibe of the album. if you look closely at the songs, they manage to have their own sound according to which album it belongs to, yet still sounds like olp.

it's quite clear from articles that bob rock has influenced their sound a lot by simplifying the lyrics and the artistry of the music. i'm not saying thats good or bad, but it has certainly reached a wider audience, especially in the US.

By the way Not Afraid is a very old song from 2003 which will not make the new album (I dont know which version you have, but the live version rules, while i'm not too keen on the studio version).

well there was my rant.

really??? :angry: I thought it was a new one!!! actually, on the file I downloaded it says "Our Lady Peace - Healthy In Paranoid Times 03 - Not Afraid"... and the song sounded new to me!!!

aaaawwww, now i feel stupid! ;)

haha that information is incorrect, its not on the new album. the song was originally played at the Junos in 2003 and then during tour but was never released, except in a Labatt Blue promo cd thing with 3 songs on it.

is it a live one or a studio one?

oh and by the way... 'julia' is an our lady peace song, i dont know where you guys get your information but julia is track 9 of Naveed and it was sarah slean who 'stole' the song and did a piano version of it beacuse she liked it so much, then sent it to olp.

ive read last few pages and so much information is misunderstood or exagerated or just plain wrong incorrect- argh!

Edited by midnight

In my mind, there is no question that Matthew Good is more talented than OLP are now. Whether it be lyrically, instrumentally, vocally, whatever. But, I do believe that Naveed through Spiritual Machines were all excellent albums. Sure, you could say that Our Lady Peace are not a great band or never were, however, it would be a lot tougher to say that those four albums did not contain a range of originality and talent.

Couldn't have said it better.

In my mind, there is no question that Matthew Good is more talented than OLP are now. Whether it be lyrically, instrumentally, vocally, whatever. But, I do believe that Naveed through Spiritual Machines were all excellent albums. Sure, you could say that Our Lady Peace are not a great band or never were, however, it would be a lot tougher to say that those four albums did not contain a range of originality and talent.

Couldn't have said it better.

Could have said it better.

I would question the talent of Raine Maida. For starters, name songs that are purely acoustic or solely piano accompanied by vocals. In far too many songs, does OLP rely on catchy instrumentation. So there really isn't a range of talent, in my mind. It was only a bit of mediocrity. Furthermore, never have their lyrics impressed me. Especially in comparison to Matt.

As far as origninality is conerned, I would comment that just because Raine Maida's voice is definitly unique, it doesn't make their music original. In fact, I would even categorize it as very bland, dull alternative music. Maybe drawing comparisons to that of Nickelback. Maybe.

Ever heard them live, by the way? Enough said.

Actually, those are good points too. Perhaps i spoke too soon. I have never seen them live, and i always thought the talent always lived in the (original) guitarist. Raine is kinda a dick. I did like Naveed through Spiritual Machines, though.

And there's no question Matt was always 1000% better.

Edited by Ravenous Yam

haha that information is incorrect, its not on the new album. the song was originally played at the Junos in 2003 and then during tour but was never released, except in a Labatt Blue promo cd thing with 3 songs on it.

is it a live one or a studio one?

oh and by the way... 'julia' is an our lady peace song, i dont know where you guys get your information but julia is track 9 of Naveed and it was sarah slean who 'stole' the song and did a piano version of it beacuse she liked it so much, then sent it to olp.

ive read last few pages and so much information is misunderstood or exagerated or just plain wrong incorrect- argh!

it is a live one... but in any case, i feel stupid ;) i have all their albums and it should've sounded familiar to me, but for some reason (guess the "urge" to hear the new stuff) it didnt sound familiar to me and since the info was there, i "trusted" that it was a new song...

ne ways, also commenting on following posts: I don't think MG and OLP can be compared. They have different styles, they make different music and their voices are different... needless to say that i prefer MG much more than OLP, but i also like the latter... differently than with respect to MG, but I also like them... and I can't wait for their new stuff (hope next time I get the real new stuff, not old songs! :angry:)

The lyrics to Happiness & The Fish are fantastic.

I'm upset

Happiness is not a fish that you can catch

Imagination can't resist the

Laziness that pins you down, get on your knees

Everyone you meet is feeling, useless and ashamed

Bored Again By Happiness!

You can't say those lyrics aren't original