shadowkitten

Love Songs?

she's got a new disguise has emotional baggage attached for me, not romantically or anything, but it reminds me far too much of a friend who ripped everyone up for her own purposes.

song for the girl, as long as you're mine, et cetera come to mind for romantic purposes.

some of them have certain 'romantic' inferences, i guess. you know, songs like the rat who would be king. i don't want to explain.

She's Got a New Disguise is good one. Vermillion also i think is a love song. Also one of my faves, Fearless:

"In the end there will be fire and brimstone

and no one will be there to answer the telephone

you are the only one I'll miss

you are the only answer at a time like this

she is he trick of my trade

she is the thing that can't be made

she is gold and nothing less

and she is fearless

so hold me up, we're going out

and don't wait up, we won't be coming home..."

song for the girl, as long as you're mine, et cetera come to mind for romantic purposes.

some of them have certain 'romantic' inferences, i guess. you know, songs like the rat who would be king. i don't want to explain.

Agreed.

But there are also some songs that are romantic in nature simply because of personal experiences associated with them. Pretty much all of Beautiful Midnight, as well as Change of Season, The Inescapable Us, Dancing Invisible remind me of certain moments with my ex. Also, Fearless, because one night we went for this drive and I just remember singing along to "This is the sound and how it feels to be dead," which probably seems counterintuitive to romance, but I just remember looking over at him and noticing the way he was watching me sing along under my breath... it was sweet.

Off the top of my head I'd agree with Fearless. That ones pretty good. Apparently song for the girl is supposed to be romantic. I can see it a bit, but in a kid way.

Also "Life beyond the Minimum Safe Distance" is a romantic song between Matt and his once stalker.

Edited by british_steel

I find most of his songwriting to be romantic in nature. There's such an urgency in his choice of words, and of course his inflection when delivering vocally. I tend to place his work within some of the confines that describe romanticism (strongly emotional, imaginative, the rejection and undermining of social/political convention). That's what keeps me comin' back!

Listen to "The Rat Who Would Be King"

That is a great romance song. It is about a rat who loves someone so much that he destroys the earth, just so that him and her can be the last rats alive. Or something like that.

Thanks

But there are also some songs that are romantic in nature simply because of personal experiences associated with them. Pretty much all of Beautiful Midnight, as well as Change of Season, The Inescapable Us, Dancing Invisible remind me of certain moments with my ex. Also, Fearless, because one night we went for this drive and I just remember singing along to "This is the sound and how it feels to be dead," which probably seems counterintuitive to romance, but I just remember looking over at him and noticing the way he was watching me sing along under my breath... it was sweet.

I also think that pretty much ALL of the Beautiful Midnight is romantic. Theres something about all those songs that seem romantic to me, and i was first introduced to the album at a time when i was feeling all lovey dovey... maybe that has something to do with it.