Sign in to follow this  
ToadMan

Moderator Policies

i totally agree with what the monkey whom is jaded has said. specifically the part about people not participating in threads that they don't like, and how it's as simple as that. no censorship needed.

what if for some reason, someone felt some of the content in the sex related part of the forum was offensive??? they just don't participate in that particular area of the bored and move on. there are many other areas of discussion to explore.

i may not agree with what everyone says here, but isn't that the point of a forum in the first place?

i'm glad you've given the members here a chance to voice their opinions in regards to this issue.

I think Jaded Monkey should be a moderator........ I mean, his reasoning is flawless... he seems to have everything figured out.

all hail Jaded Monkey....

Wow.

It was, of course, sarcasm again. I refuse to have to note the sarcasm after every entry. From now on, just assume everything I say is sarcastic (except for this post). So, to follow up on this (this is not sarcastic). I think, in all honestly, if there's ever a time for censorship, it should be saved and utlized when Jaded Monkey speaks. Hey, it has some use.

if anything, i should be mod. i'm completely unbiased, i'm a societal leech, and damnit, people like me.

I disagree. This doesn't need to be discussed. If you get a warning, or whatever, so be it. You're not being put in jail. Grow up. Who gives a fuck.

Oh, I know it was created to discuss this. Like I said, it's all nonsense to me. That's just my opinion, of course. I mean, this one revolves around pathetic. Sitting here whining about rights to a message board. Maybe, I've lost my mind.

Oh, I know it was created to discuss this. Like I said, it's all nonsense to me. That's just my opinion, of course. I mean, this one revolves around pathetic. Sitting here whining about rights to a message board. Maybe, I've lost my mind.

you live in hamilton?

OMG DO U KNOW SATURNINE????!!

sorry. i'm leaving now.

If I win the Internet. Then how come I'm still on 56K and surfing the net at a remarkably low speed? Don't just make shit up, it's disturbing.

EDIT: Yes, I live in Hamilton. I don't know Saturnine. I think we're polar opposites though. He's some bum on the mountain... I'm in the Valley and actually go to what is called university. A strange term to sat, no doubt.

Now I hope I meet him in an alley way so he can beat the shit out of me. It would be amusing for the both of us.

Edited by Maverick

The whole idea of 'free speech' is naive. It doesn't exist, it's just a pretty phrase for democracy to stand behind. In our every day lives we see limits placed on our freedom of speech, but this is usually for the good of the whole. You can't go into your place of business and start calling people ********s and ********s and not expect some form of punishment. However technically this is well within our rights of 'free speech', but our policy makers (and society as a whole) has deemed this as too far. While people have the right to an inoffensive work environment, so too do users of this forum have the right to a non-offensive board. The only way around this is to post a large advisory notice before entering the forum, or to have a completely seperate forum for what's deemed 'offfensive discussions'.

As other points have said, this is Antons house and any who come here shall abide by the his rules. The moderators here were chosen by Anton and have been told the rules of to which they are to run the forum. No matter what, some personal bias will come into play, and that can't be avoided. But it comes down to that if you don't like it, leave. Nobody is forcing anybody to stay.

But a few suggestions maybe -->

1. Get rid of 'moderators' who have not been online in months

2. Possibly hold 'moderator' elections (as some other forums have).

3. Have a moderator free area of the board, as long as the title states that it may contain offensive material.

4. Any member who is banned should have a way of appealing his/her ban , or at least have his/her ban reviewed if they think it was unfair.

5. Have the rules of the forum better layed out

6. If a moderator must step in, state the reason that they are stepping in.

Was that sarcasm as well? Regarding Mav's post.

Anywho, I believe censorship was created in most part to satisfy the majority of the public. The people in charge of censorship are hoping to appease the majority of the board, and while some people may not like that, the mods are looking out for the mass majority. But, that comes down not only to personal preference but to try and think what others will like or not like as well.

Now, since this is not my board and I'm not a moderator, then I have to live with their rules and guidelines. Am I happy with that? Maybe, maybe not, but that's how it works. Should they be a little more lenient? I would say so. From what I've read so far, it sounds like some mods abuse their power. But, that's up to them.

An analogy if you will: My brother smokes...I don't allow smoking at my house, so when he comes over there's no smoking. If he wants to, he can go outside or leave. No in between. Similar, I guess. This is not our board and we don't run, but we have to follow the rules...which might be a little more defined.

Edited by matrix

The whole idea of 'free speech' is naive. It doesn't exist, it's just a pretty phrase for democracy to stand behind. In our every day lives we see limits placed on our freedom of speech, but this is usually for the good of the whole. You can't go into your place of business and start calling people ********s and ********s and not expect some form of punishment. However technically this is well within our rights of 'free speech', but our policy makers (and society as a whole) has deemed this as too far. While people have the right to an inoffensive work environment, so too do users of this forum have the right to a non-offensive board. The only way around this is to post a large advisory notice before entering the forum, or to have a completely seperate forum for what's deemed 'offfensive discussions'.

As other points have said, this is Antons house and any who come here shall abide by the his rules. The moderators here were chosen by Anton and have been told the rules of to which they are to run the forum. No matter what, some personal bias will come into play, and that can't be avoided. But it comes down to that if you don't like it, leave. Nobody is forcing anybody to stay.

But a few suggestions maybe -->

1. Get rid of 'moderators' who have not been online in months

2. Possibly hold 'moderator' elections (as some other forums have).

3. Have a moderator free area of the board, as long as the title states that it may contain offensive material.

4. Any member who is banned should have a way of appealing his/her ban , or at least have his/her ban reviewed if they think it was unfair.

5. Have the rules of the forum better layed out

6. If a moderator must step in, state the reason that they are stepping in.

All very bad suggestions. I could rip into them. But it's all very self-explanatory.

I'd like to hear you rip into them... oh wait, that's right. You've got nothing.

I'd have to agree with Sprizup, and if you don't like it or find it offensive, instead of having myself censored, you can disregard this thread or leave. It's up to you.

That must be it.

Get rid of moderators that have been offline for months?

First of all, how many?

Should they be removed of status because their internet is down or they were particularly busy at the time because of family, etc.

You shouldn't lose status because you're away from a job. You should lose status if you're particularly bad at the job. People can take leaves.

Just an example. I could go on... but you're right, I have nothing.

Now, never again... Or think things through.... something like that.

Edited by Maverick

Well, actually, with most jobs you would lose it if you were away for a long period of time. How many people do you know that get two to three months of vacation in a row? There are some mods that I have more posts then and I've only been here a month. Now, I'm sure everyone here has responsiblities, but I would assume if you take a position as a mod, that is a resposibility. Right?

That was weak?

How do you figure, exactly.

I would be pretty pissed if we started dropping mods who were fit for the job but had been adsent for a while.

That's like firing women because they're on maternity leave. You've got problems.

Wow, the Matrix.

I'm speechless. I know people who take years off a job and are guaranteed reinsertion to their job because of their skills.

You guys are killing me here. Please stop bothering.

Edited by Maverick

I don't believe I mentioned maternity leave. That's completely different. However, I've seen the best employees or workers fired because of absensces. If you can't do the work on time, it doesn't matter how good you are.

You've known people who've taken years off? Please.

Edited by matrix

@ Maverick - What the hell was that? Was that supposed to be your idea of 'ripping' into them? Once again, I'll quote myself

I'd like to hear you rip into them... oh wait, that's right. You've got nothing.

And Uncle Jam, because we're actually on the same page here

You DON'T have anything. That argument was weak at best, and that point was the worst of all the suggestions made.

So how bout you come back when you have a point... and remember the one on the top of your head doesn't count.

Well, the main reason women are fired because of maternity leave is not because they lack skills, but because they lack output. Their leave of absent is out of their control, just like how it could/would be for mods who are not present. There's the comparison.

Wow. I think I have a pretty good point myself. You're being absurd with the idea of dropping someone because they're going to be away for a while. I'd like to see how many people would agree with that rule, without exceptions. Rediculous.

You guys want me to talk about the election of mods. That's even more of an absurd suggestion. We have 1094 members (or something). Some of which are under 12-13. Think that one through. I don't have to say anything more than that.

EDIT: How is it that I'm fending off 2-3 people here and you guys have very little to show for it. Where are your very sturdy rebuttles. Try something more than, "You're arguments are weak! You're an idiot!"

Edited by Maverick

I really equate being pregnant and having a maternity leave far different then being a moderator on a board.

And while you mentioned people retaining a job after taken years off work, I've had to fire good people because they can't make it on time. It has nothing to do with how hard they work, it's about dependability.

edit: Fending 2-3 people? I hardly call your rebutles that convincing.

Edited by matrix

Fine, lets counter this...

1. I'm not talking maternity leave here, I don't even know how that came up. I'm talking people who have not logged into the forums in nearly a year for an unexplained reason. This is not a paying job, nor is it unionized the last time I checked. If you're not here to moderate then you don't need those powers.

2. Who cares if some members are younger? Most are over or near voting age (not that that really matters, since we're not electing the next leaders of the country). Hell if you're that worried about your fellow immature members voting stupidly, it could be set up that Anton has the final say.

EDIT:

"You're arguments are weak! You're an idiot!"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anyways, while this has been fun, I'm off too bed. Early work tomorrow. You kiddies play nice now ;)

Edited by Spritzup

Fine, lets counter this...

1. I'm not talking maternity leave here, I don't even know how that came up. I'm talking people who have not logged into the forums in nearly a year for an unexplained reason. This is not a paying job, nor is it unionized the last time I checked. If you're not here to moderate then you don't need those powers.

2. Who cares if some members are younger? Most are over or near voting age (not that that really matters, since we're not electing the next leaders of the country). Hell if you're that worried about your fellow immature members voting stupidly, it could be set up that Anton has the final say.

EDIT:

"You're arguments are weak! You're an idiot!"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anyways, while this has been fun, I'm off too bed. Early work tomorrow. You kiddies play nice now ;)

Firstly, you changed your suggestion.

You got very specific all of a sudden. Firing moderators who haven't been on for a year and are unexplained is an obvious course of action. Funny how you narrowed and specified your suggestion. I guess that was realizing your mistake. Firing after "months" no matter what the excuse would, in fact, be careless.

Secondly, the maternity leave reference, as I explained earlier, was in reference to firing people solely because of their leave. That is also absurd. Now, let's never bring this up again because you guys are grabbing and stretching your rebuttle by not realizing the obvious implications of this suggestion.

Thirdly, the whole idea of censoring voters and having King Anton decide who can/can not vote defeats the purpose of voting in the first place. Might as well have Anton pick anyways. Since he's going to be picking the voters. You're correct with your statement that we're not electing world leaders. That's why the whole argument is proposterous. That's why I wouldn't be even dealing with this if it wasn't for your arrogance in suggesting that I had no rebuttle. I'll always take up that kind of idiotic, middle-school tactic.

Now, stop with the insanity.

Well actually I agree with Maverick on the Mod thing. Remember that this is a message board. Some people have lives and most of us, me included, will be showing up here less and less as we get closer to finals. So are you saying we should fire a person because they find that a career takes precident over the volunteer position they took to help there friend?