thedevilwasapoet

Matt Good Hates Rico, Do You

rico, good or bad?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. rico, good or bad?

• good
    • bad

Rico has always made me laugh. I always laugh when people shout for it at shows too.

It's pretty funny now, with perspective. When people were serious about it, it was annoying as balls.

Truthfully, it's always been more irritating when people call out songs that are clearly going to happen - like Apparitions. I once attended a show where a girl spent most of the concert yelling this song name out. I have never attended a Matt Good show where this song was not played. It's safe to assume the song is going to get played :/

Guest Idioteque

Personally I cannot stand the "Boston-More Than A Feeling" intro riff for "Jenni's song". The rest of the track is awesome other than one of the most overused riffs in rock & roll history. 

Personally I cannot stand the "Boston-More Than A Feeling" intro riff for "Jenni's song". The rest of the track is awesome other than one of the most overused riffs in rock & roll history. 

You know what?  I never noticed that before.... dammit now you've ruined that song for me lol. :lol:

Edited by Sly Botts

How about the Electric Light Orchestra "Don't Bring Me Down" drum intro to Rico? ;)

I like it, though it will never make it to my favourites list.  I think it's pretty fun!

As far as overplayed goes, I don't find this one to be the most overplayed.  I find "Apparitions" falls into this category; so much so that I don't even have it on my faves list anymore despite the fact that it's a great song.  Even my phone conspired to have me listen to it every single day, before I yanked from my playlist.

The one that I listen to somewhat questionably, and dubiously is "Antipop" since Matt only wrote it at the behest of his recording company.  I yanked the following quote off of Wikipedia, which explains the story: 

"There an interesting story behind that song actually. The record company, I had already delivered that entire record to the record company. They use this whole back-channeling system cause the Matthew Good Band was a very political band. We actually weren't all friends to begin with. It was a super political situation, everyone was always trying to basically fuck everyone else over at the exact same time, and I would just puke all day. And my record company called my management who called Dave Genn who said "oh you have to write a hit for the record". So I tried to write the worst song I could possibly come up with. And then you know, in true fucking major record company fashion, they put it on the record. That's how stupid record companies are."

I love "Antipop" even though Matt wrote it to suck, which just shows to go you that even when he sets out to intentionally write terrible music, he's still great, lol!  Anyway, this song is a guilty pleasure of mine, for sure.

Edited by Mira Aleta

I love the line;

"Buy the rights to endless love and if your friends don't like it you can tell them to fuck off, fuck off, fuck off."

Not too crazy about the chorused intro guitar line, but that line gets me every time. Straight on par with "The only place to find freedom is in a dictionary" in my book. Yep.