ktopar

I Had A Thought About Gravity

ok, what if gravity, this is a wierd thought, what if gravity was like resistant to the unnatural force that humans and our technology present against it? and this is what i mean by that:

what if by using like elevators and planes we're actually pushing against the normal forces of the earth and creating an inbalance in nature -a sort of unreadable chaos.

and maybe one day the whole world's tension will just implode or something

or MAYBE, maybe the tension is like a stressing force that pushes on humans and we somehow subconciously pick up on it and that's what causes doubt and hate and war?

how bout them apples.

It's not logical because gravity is an attraction between masses. Every and any two objects in the entire universe have a gravitational attraction to each other, regardless of how small they are or how far apart they are (although, of course, the gravitational force does get infinitesimally small if you are dealing with small, far apart objects). Gravity has nothing to do with up and down, it is just a force based on mass and distance.

The formula for calculating the gravitational attraction between two objects is:

Fg=(G*m1*m2)/R^2

Where Fg is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses, and R is the distance between them.

EDIT: fixed typos

Edited by Ravenous Yam

Gravity is caused (or so the currently held belief thinks) by mass curving space time.

Imagine you have a piece of cloth, and you have it loosely stretched out in mid air. Now put a bowling ball on this piece of cloth, it sags right? Thats exactly what mass does to space time, except its in 4 dimensions.

Whats intresting too is for the sake of arguement, say the sun dissappears (not turned into energy, not moved away and a finite speed, but POOF its gone) would the earth:

A) Imediatlly go off on a tagent

B) Continue along its current orbital path indefinatly (continue in the elipse until otherwise disturbed)

c) Continue along its current orbital path for aprox 8min.

Well suprise kids the correct answer is C. Pyschists belive that gravitational effects travel through spacetime at the speed of light ;) Wow useless knowalge.

What I've always wondered about is that the force between 2 masses is Fg=Gm1m2/r^2

and force between 2 charged points is:

Fe=kc1c2/r^2

identical equasions. But G!=k. I've wondered if anyone has tryed changing the standard units (ie 1meter=1.04meter) to get G=k and see what happens with other equasions.

Reminds me of a theory I came up with before when I was being particularly creative and illogical.

The earth's revolving around the sun depends on the gravitational attraction that exists between the earth and sun, and that gravitational attraction depends partially upon the earth's mass. Since matter cannot be created nor destroyed, much of the matter on earth has changed forms many times but the overall mass has stayed the same, keeping earth's orbit in its stable status. This is of course until the invention of space probes, not satellites that re-enter the earth's atmosphere, but things like all the mars rovers, probes to saturn, venus, and many others. Though these machines are made from matter that is from earth, they leave the earth and as result decrease its mass, and therefore the gravitational attraction existing between the earth and sun also decreases, and then we have potential disaster if enough of these are created and sent out into space.

G and k are related calgarydave. It's called coupling coefficients. There is a set of them and they describe how the fundamental four forces in the universe are related.

Incidentally you couldn't make G = k since they have different units.

G being m^3/(kg*s^2)

k being m^3*kg/C^2

Those are all base units, so they can't be made the same.

Peace

Reminds me of a theory I came up with before when I was being particularly creative and illogical.

The earth's revolving around the sun depends on the gravitational attraction that exists between the earth and sun, and that gravitational attraction depends partially upon the earth's mass.  Since matter cannot be created nor destroyed, much of the matter on earth has changed forms many times but the overall mass has stayed the same, keeping earth's orbit in its stable status.  This is of course until the invention of space probes, not satellites that re-enter the earth's atmosphere, but things like all the mars rovers, probes to saturn, venus, and many others.  Though these machines are made from matter that is from earth, they leave the earth and as result decrease its mass, and therefore the gravitational attraction existing between the earth and sun also decreases, and then we have potential disaster if enough of these are created and sent out into space.

Even if the earth was the size of a baseball it would still have the same orbit. Earth would only lose orbit if it was sped up or slowed down.

Hence "illogical."

Alhough its orbit would be easier to disturb with a smaller mass I would think.

But also less likely to intercept another object to throw it off...hm. Does the solar wind exert actual physical force? More easily affected by the gravity of objects passing close to it, anyway.

Comp sci, ewww ;) Too each their own though, I like physics so thats what I'm in. Sometimes I wonder though as the school is less than kind to us with exams most times. When the class average is less than 50 on a test or exam I wonder.

YEah I know lol

I cant comment on exams at our school I only took first year physics, and the only complant I had was on the exam that the prof admited was too long for the time he gave us I got 98%. I lost 2% cause in the dying minutes I added up the numbers wrong...

Whats intresting too is for the sake of arguement, say the sun dissappears (not turned into energy, not moved away and a finite speed, but POOF its gone) would the earth:

B) Continue along its current orbital path indefinatly (continue in the elipse until otherwise disturbed)

Well suprise kids the correct answer is C. Pyschists belive that gravitational effects travel through spacetime at the speed of light ;) Wow useless knowalge.

saw an episode of 'Nova' on PBS once about exactly what you just talked about.

Its a pretty cool theory. Since nothing travels faster than the speed of light, it would be at least 8min before earth's gravity would be affected. And somewhere in the episode they explained why gravity travelled at the speed of light.

Oh the mysteries of the cosmos, how i love thee.

p.s. don't diss the guy for the topic, its just a random thought. we all get em. Anyways, this would be very bad for the super-villain my friend & I created while in high school history class. He was called "Anti-Gravity Dude". He has special boots that made him walk on ceilings and shit. So if all gravity was reversed on earth than 'Anti-Grav Dude' would be the only guy left standing on the planet. haha i'm bored kill me now.

Gravity is caused (or so the currently held belief thinks) by mass curving space time.

Imagine you have a piece of cloth, and you have it loosely stretched out in mid air. Now put a bowling ball on this piece of cloth, it sags right? Thats exactly what mass does to space time, except its in 4 dimensions.

What I've always wondered about is that the force between 2 masses is Fg=Gm1m2/r^2

and force between 2 charged points is:

Fe=kc1c2/r^2

identical equasions. But G!=k. I've wondered if anyone has tryed changing the standard units (ie 1meter=1.04meter) to get G=k and see what happens with other equasions.

This means I have 8 minutes to have sex.

But could someone explain to me how gravity affects "Space-time"? I'm not particularly well-versed in astronomical physics.

A few questions answered.

ecnarf: Its not that gravity affects space-time, its that gravity arises from the effect of a mass on space-time. A mass (like a star or something) changes the space-time around it, as such any body affected by it follows the law of physics as usual, but it "sees" a non-euclidian space, thus it appears to us as though it moves under the influence of a force.

this explaination makes it seem as though gravity isnt really a force, but it is, its exchange particle is the graviton. This particle has no mass (same as a photon which is the exchange particle for electromagnetic interaction) this moves at the speed of light, thus the delay between a gravitational event and its observation.

Currently, a great amount of effort is being made by theorists to unify all 4 forces, however, gravity is a really pain in the ass.

Daedalus: haha, you resisted the urge, I didn't, and in physics, in my experience, class averages mean absolutely nothing, where you sit in the class with respect to the other students is pretty much all that matters. My grad QM course has had class averages of 50% or less on every test.

HoboFactory: your thoughts on ejection of mass are actually pretty accurate, this was something that NASA people looked at during the early days of the space program. It turns out that it doesnt matter, mostly because the mass of the earth is on the order of 10^24Kg, so to make a change of the mass of the earth on the order of even a hundredth of a percent you would have to eject 10^20kg, which is a hell of alot. There are other stability of orbit, and momentum conservation factors, I won't go into thoses.

Toadman and Calgarydave:

about trying k=G, toadman is correct to say that its not realistic due to units. One way around this is to create characteristic force scales associated with certain physical situations, ie. plug in the mass of electrons, and charge of electrons, and you have the effective force magnitudes. This is greatly complicated, and made somewhat worthless due to the fact that the electric interaction can be screened.

gravity works slowly if you notice it at all

some of us are getting mighty lucky

if you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall

you think i can't fly well you just watch me