well, I do... when a song produces some sorta feeling inside me, when it tells me something, when at least the music has and effect on me... I like that song, and if it is a whole band which produces something on me (like this band), even more

I don't care if they are a band with overnight success, i dont care if they are gonna last long or just this album... I just care that at least 4 songs of this album have an effect on me, and that's what matters to me

i agree that the killers can be a "fun" band. but i personally tend to value substance over style... most of the time. everyone has guilty pleasures. of course, music is subjective and blah blah blah and all the more power to you for enjoying the killers. people are entitled to like what they want. i just don't see the point in investing my time and money into something that is a novelty. especially one that doesn't seem to understand where their place is in music culture. at least a similar band like the darkness does what they do with a sense of humor about it all. but the killers are humorless at what they do... they take themselves way to seriously for the actual quality of music that they make, coming off more as a joke to me than anything else. i can't take their music seriously. it also doesn't help that going backwards makes absolutely no sense to me.

but again, i will repeat that im not being judgemental of you or anyone else who enjoys that band.

yeah, that's your opinion and mine is TOTALLY different... the best proof for a band to know if they are good musicians or not is to listen to them live and see how they really play and sing, and i've seen them live and downloaded some concerts from the internet and they sound - in my opinion and for my likes - pretty well, and that's the only thing that matters to me

the rest? aside values to me which dont have any effect on me

This thread is bizarre.

That happens.

Between Saturine, Mrs Jesus, Jam, Salad and i, we pull our weight in the Hijacking of Threads department.

Sorry.

On a more relevant note, I do like the Killers. Bought Hot Fuss, and i was disapointed. Somebody Told Me, and Mr Brightside were good enough to justify interest, but the only other song that really held my attention was Jenny Was A Friend of Mine.

Other than that it's just good, in my opinion anyway.

This thread is bizarre.

That happens.

Between Saturine, Mrs Jesus, Jam, Salad and i, we pull our weight in the Hijacking of Threads department.

Sorry.

On a more relevant note, I do like the Killers. Bought Hot Fuss, and i was disapointed. Somebody Told Me, and Mr Brightside were good enough to justify interest, but the only other song that really held my attention was Jenny Was A Friend of Mine.

you's a lightweight. i've been jackin' threads since you were sucking your mother's dick

i just don't see the point in investing my time and money into something that is a novelty. especially one that doesn't seem to understand where their place is in music culture. at least a similar band like the darkness does what they do with a sense of humor about it all. but the killers are humorless at what they do... they take themselves way to seriously for the actual quality of music that they make, coming off more as a joke to me than anything else. i can't take their music seriously. it also doesn't help that going backwards makes absolutely no sense to me.

what makes you say they're a novelty?

and who are you to decide where a band's "place" is in music culture?

This thread is bizarre.

That happens.

Sorry.

you's a lightweight. i've been jackin' threads since you were sucking your mother's dick

correction: YOUR mother's dick.

EDIT: Why do people put the ' in? If you’re so irreverent, leave it spelt wrong, and don’t give a muthafuck bout no apostrophes.

Edited by insober

what makes you say they're a novelty?

and who are you to decide where a band's "place" is in music culture?

i believe they're a novelty because i don't think that the direction that popular music takes lasts a particularly long time. they're a part of popular music and unless they can separate themselves from the "retro" label they have recieved, then i don't think they'll be around for very long. frankly, if i wanted to hear duran duran, i'd listen to them. i won't bother trying to listen to a band who emulate what duran duran did and who bring nothing new to the table, apart from wearing more makeup. also, a band that has feelings of nostalgia for a decade that they were clearly not old enough to even experience seems a little odd. to me, they just seem a bit too illegitamite for my own comfort. i have no problem with the mainstream, but no band deserves to be played as much as the killers have been. they seem to be more a part of a "get rich quick" scheme for record companies to cash-in on the current popularity of dance-pop. i'd rather listen to bands like hot hot heat or death from above 1979... those are two bands who make poppy music you can dance to, similar to the killers, but the music itself isn't so completely derivative that it hurts to listen to it. they're bands who have a recorded past as well. buying records is like making an investment... i feel more comfortable buying the record of a band who's first album isn't put out by a major.

obviously a band's relevance depends on the listener's own opinion... when i say "their place in music culture" i'm looking at it from the perspective that they are a novelty, and that they'll vanish within an album or two. all of what im saying could be completely wrong though. they could come out with a brilliant album tomorrow that i would fall in love with. for the moment however, based on what i've read, listenned to and seen, this is the opinion i have.

hopefully this makes some sense. or maybe i'm just crazy.

sorry i didnt reply in a timely fashion... i havent been around the computer a whole lot lately. this whole "school being done for the summer" biznazz has got me outside and stuff. weird.

interesting.

have you ever actually listened to duran duran?

just curious, not trying to be a bitch here.. it's just..

there really aren't many simlarities between the killers and duran duran.

i agree with you that they have a sorta retro-ish sound, but i don't really think of it as a fad, i think it's just their style..

also, a band that has feelings of nostalgia for a decade that they were clearly not old enough to even experience seems a little odd.

i don't think so. you can listen to music and be influenced by music from any decade, whether or not you lived during that time period. hell, i'm full of all kinds of nostalgia for the 70s, and i wasn't born until 1977.

to me, they just seem a bit too illegitamite for my own comfort.

ok. i think that's kind of a weird thing to say, but it's your opinion. and i like you, so i won't call you an idiot for it.

i have no problem with the mainstream, but no band deserves to be played as much as the killers have been.

i don't really know how much they've been played. i don't listen to the radio. i don't watch tv. i don't have to deal with this overexposure that people complain about because i don't subject myself to it. i don't see why they don't deserve to be played, though, if people want to hear it.

buying records is like making an investment... i feel more comfortable buying the record of a band who's first album isn't put out by a major.

to me it doesn't matter what label a band is on, whether it's independent, or major, i don't really care. i like music. i couldn't care less about the other shit.

you know what's funny? it's not even like i'm a huge killers fan and i just typed a goddamn novel defending them. lovely. ;)

i see what you're saying. as much as id like to forget about all the extra and unecessary aspects to popular music, i think it gets really hard to do that. music is music, and all the rest can be ignored (if you're strong enough to do that). when you're looking at popular music though, i think it is important to put things within a context. the music we listen to comes from a music business afterall... in the end, it's all a product. i like to question why one band gets radioplay/ why one band's album gets pushed more than another. sure, they could be really deserving of those things, but i think the killers are a part of someone's attempt to sell us a culture... something that has felt unnatural from the get-go. for example, since their album debut, "hot fuss" has been on sale at HMV for 2/25$... even before their first single got huge. that sale increases the chances of their album being bought as opposed to someone elses without that kind of support. if their success (in terms of sales) relied mainly on those kinds of promotions, then why were the killers supported from the beginning and not some other band? the killers are good at what they do, but i havent seen anything that shows what they do as being anything special.

duran duran were just an example. i wasn't talking just sound... i was referencing their look, aesthetics and delivery. when i hear the killers, i dont think of our own current decade, which is strange to me. music will always have elements of the past within it, but when the past takes a predominant role in contemporary music, i find it a bit confusing. the best bands steal ideas and sounds, but they make it their own. i havent found that yet with the killers. as i said before, my mind can change.

anyway, i respect your opinion and dont expect everyone to see eye to eye with me. i actually prefer to be proven wrong because then it means i've learned something.

I love this band.

There's something so incredibly catchy about them, and I can't stop myself from listening to their goddamn cd.

And this is just my opinion, but I think the whole cd is fantastic from start to finish.

Funny story though, I didn't like them at first.

I heard Somebody Told Me on the radio and I was all like, "ew... that's... not good. very disco, very bad 80's."

But I was listening to some British station online and they played "All These Things That I've Done" and I thought to myself, "Holy fuck! Who is this? Its insane! LOVE IT!

Same band. I couldn't believe it.

Somehow I ended up with tickets to see em live for some pre-record release thing and was just amazed. Fucking fantastic!

I got the record as soon as it came out, and have since been in love with it. It barely ever leaves the cd player in my car.

(And Somebody Told me did eventually grow on me, though it is still my least favourite song on the album)

just wanna say...the killers fucking suck.  the lead singer eats babie and the rest of the band rolls around in their own feces.  thank you.

wow... very strong words to define someone (a band in this case)...

I advice you to always support your opinions whenever you say something with reasons... it's always good in life, in all aspects

Edited by juanpe