Hey, there are taxes on alcohol and tobacco, why not fast food?

I say we weigh people, and determine their yearly tax rate by the percentage of their body weight made up of fat.

I don't even eat fast food, and if I do, it's under such circumstances that I only have 20 minutes to eat something after school before I've got a concert to play in that night, so it won't affect me much.

It won't discourage people from eating fast food, it will just mean people who eat a lot of fast food will be poorer. I think alcohol and cigarette taxes are bad ideas for the same reason, especially since poor people smoke more, drink more, and eat more fast food already.

especially since poor people smoke more, drink more, and eat more fast food already.

It's odd, isn't it?

Fuck yes, tax fast food. might as well recoperate what we'll be spending on the fat fucks when they get their fourth bypass.

wouldn't it make more sense to put taxes on something tangable?

I would feel better knowing that governments are taxing fat people for eating irresponsibley, rather than taxing rich people, for the sake of being rich.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, rich people have the right to be rich. Why tax them more because a slew of fat kids ate too much crap-food and health-care costs are soaring?

Edited by the artist formerly known as insober

I would feel better not taxing a particular group of people who, statistically, are more likely to be poor than other groups, for choosing to eat food that may or may not "cost us" a dime depending on innumerable other factors. If something's bad, and you want to get taxes from the sale of it, tax the provider, not the buyer, unless you're contending that it's less okay for me to eat a cheeseburger than it is for McDonalds to sell that cheeseburger. And the same goes for cigarettes.

As for taxing the rich for the sake of taxing the rich, that's another debate entirely.

It won't discourage people from eating fast food, it will just mean people who eat a lot of fast food will be poorer. I think alcohol and cigarette taxes are bad ideas for the same reason, especially since poor people smoke more, drink more, and eat more fast food already.

Not only that, but since the tax is regressive (as all sales taxes tend to be), it hits the poor harder than it does the wealthy. Doesn't seem to make alotta sense to tax the lower classes further.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, rich people have the right to be rich.

Don't people have the right to be fat, and eat they want?

Plus there's the difficult task of defining what is and isn't "unhealthy".

Sure they have the right to be fat, but it costs us money when someone is fat. I'd say that rich people generally help the economy.

As for taxing fat-producers, that could drive a spike through the heart of the industry. You need to approach progression with tact. The higher cost may be an incentive for me to not buy crap-food, but if you start taxing companies, they may pull out, hurting the economy.

I must admit though, responsibley taxing companies would be good too, but if you implement too fast, it could hurt more than help.

Labour is the source of value, not capital.

"McDonalds" is not going to pull out of Canada over a tax increase. As long as there's money to be made, they're going to stay and make it.

Edited by Bizud