Moonlight_Graham

Abortion Question

Men are debating it because it is a societal issue... coupled with the man/woman ratio of the board.

Lauren is right, the issue of whether it should be allowed rests solely on the preferences of the individual. Though to bolster JM, since it is an issue of preference, then the law should (and does) provide people to have their own preference.

Peace

Alright, my first points didn't fare so well, because I had nothing to back it up.

Let me try and make it more clear. In Canadian law, a baby is not considered a person until it is born. Now, many of you have stated the fact you believe it is alright for abortion because the fetus has no opinion one way or the other. It has no ability to comprehend life and death. Ok, that's fine. Now, tell me, at what point would a child begin to comprehend that? Three, four years old? Maybe not even that young. So, if that's your arguement, would you say that it's alright to kill a child who's two years old and hasn't developed enough to comprehend death? That's what it sounds like to me. My point is that if you're going to say that a fetus is not human because it can't think or comprehend, then a child wouldn't be human until it can think for itself, comprehend life and death, incorporate it's own decisions and opinions.

Killing is killing, whether it's done to a fetus who's two months along, or to a child a year old.

That's just my opinion. I think abortion at anytime is wrong.

As with all things your entitled to your opinion.

I'm going to state that I don't believe the fetus is anymore than a parasite on the mother, until it is born. Then it will breath and eat under it's own power. With exception it is still dependent on others, but it is not parasitic on another body.

That's my opinion, so go ahead and refute.

Peace

I think that if I were in some position where I would need to be hooked up to another person in order to live, it would be morally correct to sacrifice my life for that person's freedom. I mean, we don't force people to donate kidneys to save another person's life, so why force a mother to donate the use of her body to save a fetus?

I did a project on this in school. We decided that a fetus can not be considered a person until it has a rational faculty. Until it can think, speak, act, it's no more alive than a tree.You'd be preventing a potential person from developing. Therefore, killing a fetus would be no different than leaving sperm cells out to dry.

That is a rational argument. The irrational argument stems from, guess where? Religion. surprise. It's against their "morals".

This is a very serious topic. Decisions should not be based on mysticism, or mere "feelings". If someone is considering abortion there is probably a good reason why they should not have a baby.

If you are so worried about the morality of having an abortion, consider the life of the baby after it's developed, not before.Can you afford it? Will it have a good upbringing? base your decision on that.

Edited by heyrabbit