hungte

Do you think MG is any good on guitar?

They are VERY different things indeed. Matt is no shredder, that's obvious, and Genn did most of the MGB lead work, but Matt's come into his own on this record as far as melodious guitar work goes. And simply making two records on which you play most of the guitars would qualify as a "good" guitarist in my mind. He can certainly play all his stuff live as well, which is an important facet of it.

-julz

I think Matt is a good writer for the guitar (note that all of the tracks past intermezzo on loser anthems are written and played by Matt) as for his technical skill playing the guitar. I've watched the empty road making video... and I can't argue with his skill... sure he is not the most skilled guitarist on the planet, but he's good.

I wish I was as good as Matt ;)

Peace

He can write great songs, and his guitar skills compliment his song-writing skills. Essentially, he seems to be as skilled as he needs to be to play the songs he wants to play.

I haven't seen him live, but on the videos where he is shown playing the guitar, his part sounds really good... and what someone said before, he wrote the guitar parts in WLRRR, so... he must be kinda good, don't u think so?

I like the fact that he plays the guitar with his eyes closed sometimes... it shows me that he "feels" the music instead of just "playing" it.

His skills are definitly good enough for me to listen to! I cant complain... mind you, he is not the best guitarist to ever play.

he may not be the best guitarrist to ever play... but someone who plays the guitar with his eyes closed sometimes is what you say, danimal, just a sign of someone who feels his music, who gets his music inside, who wants to express something with it... and i just love this ;)

Great songwriter, great author, good guitarist, great vocalist, that's my opinion...it's a whole package thing ya know?...Kurt wasn't an amazing guitar player either but look where he got....

I think if Matt can write all of the lead parts then he obviously can play them, it just makes more sense that he has a lead guitarist and he plays rhythm, especially at live shows. Unless I'm mistaken the vocalist in a band almost always plays rhythm while the second guitarist plays lead. I think it flows better that way.

I think Matt's talent with guitar is as good as it should be. I agree that he doesnt have to go and do "long ass solos" because that isnt his style. I prefer what he does now because he is such a good vocalist... what is the point of showing off the guitar?

If you listen to him live he's pretty damn good at playing guitar. Check him out while he's playing Near Fantastica live, it's awesome. He's doing that stupid little rockstar dance and really making his guitar eat it.

i also think he's pretty good at playing guitar... near fantastica, those guitar solos in blue skies..., avalanche, the rat who would be king... dont understand why there is some sorta debate on this... is there anybody who thinks he's "bad" at playing guitar?