saturnine

Satty's Word Of The Day

i don't like it

it sounds ridiculous

it should be an abbreviation instead of a word

but some idiot decided to make it a word instead

stupidstupidstupid

just because you can't differentiate it from appropriate, doesn't make other people idiots.

i don't like it

it sounds ridiculous

it should be an abbreviation instead of a word

but some idiot decided to make it a word instead

stupidstupidstupid

just because you can't differentiate it from appropriate, doesn't make other people idiots.

who says i can't differentiate it from appropriate?

differentiate is fun to say.

you thought it was an abbreviation for appropriate or meant the same thing

actually, what i said was it SHOULD be an abbreviation. i didn't say i thought it was one.

and it basically means the same thing as appropriate.

don't be so defensive about your lame word choice. you'll do better next time, kiddo.

you thought it was an abbreviation for appropriate or meant the same thing

actually, what i said was it SHOULD be an abbreviation. i didn't say i thought it was one.

and it basically means the same thing as appropriate.

don't be so defensive about your lame word choice. you'll do better next time, kiddo.

prior to your post, i meant.

only 1 of 4 uses is similar.

putative \PYOO-tuh-tiv\, adjective:

Commonly thought or deemed; supposed; reputed; as, the putative father of a child.

Certainly, to have even a putative ancestor commemorated by Shakespeare is something about which to boast.

--Frances Spalding, Duncan Grant: A Biography

A... report has found that the putative evidence for the paper that started the controversy was fabricated.

--Margot O'Toole, "The Whistle-Blower and the Train Wreck," New York Times, April 12, 1991

Putative comes from Late Latin putativus, from Latin putare, to cleanse, to prune, to clear up, to consider, to reckon, to think. It is related to compute, to calculate (from com-, com-, here used intensively + putare); dispute, to contend in argument (from dis-, apart + putare); and reputation, the estimation in which one is held (from reputatio, from reputare, to think over, from re-, again + putare).

odium \OH-dee-uhm\, noun:

1. Intense hatred or dislike; loathing; abhorrence.

2. The state or fact of being intensely hated as the result of some despicable action.

3. Disgrace or discredit attaching to something hated or repugnant.

Edited by saturnine

expiate \EK-spee-ayt\, transitive verb:

To make amends for; to make complete satisfaction for; to atone for; as, to expiate a crime, a guilt, or sin.

Expiate comes from Latin expiare, from ex-, here used intensively, + piare, to seek to appease by an offering, to make good, to atone for, from pius, dutiful.

The act of expiating is expiation; one who makes expiation is an expiator; that which has power to make expiation is expiatory.

Synonyms: atone for, make amends, make good, redeem;