In todays music scene, so little is actualy original and creative, rock and pop music especially so, (with a few honourable exceptions). This year I've realy started to become more and more interested in jazz, but it seems like despite it's long history and huge variation, jazz seems to be a relatively unheard music. I was wondering if anyone else who also likes good rock also likes jazz.

Some of my favourite artists iclude Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker. Fell free to comment, talk about artists and albums...and ya.

I love jazz. I'm going to the jazz camp at the International Music Camp at the peace gardens, and I'm seriously considering taking jazz in university. Right now, I'm working on a 4000 word essay on the influence of Miles Davis on modern jazz, and so for that I'm having to listen to lots of it. I'm totally digging Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and all those other guys you mentioned. I'm also really into Clifford Brown, Art Blakey, Chick Corea (and Return to Forever - Spain=amazing), Dave Brubeck, Cannonball Adderly, and Chet Baker.

I'm not too big a fan of the vocal jazz though. It's really the lyrics, more than anything. The singers are excellent (mostly), a lot better than most of what you'd hear on modern rock radio. The musicianship is better, too. I'd like to hear the guys in Nickelback improvise over a 12-bar blues progression. Hell, John Coltrane could play 1000 notes a minute when improvising - just pulling stuff out of thin air - and it sounds excellent.

I laughed when I read the first post here, since a while back there was a "Rate the band above" thread, and I posted Charlie Parker after someone posted B.B. King in hopes that maybe I wasn't too naive in thinking someone else on a board like this had heard of some old jazzmen. Instead, people were just bitching about how they'd never heard of him. I was a little dismayed B)

The last that I listened to Jazz was an episode of "The Cosby Show" where Cliff plays some old-time jazz in the basement.

K-os is playing this years Winnipeg Jazz Festival, and I might check it out if it isn't sold out yet.

i've 'dabbled' here and there through the 'american music' course i took this past year, but haven't really explored. the only jazz musician i've actually sat down and listenned to is john zorn. although, a lot of people would argue that you can't really call what he does, jazz.

I've never heard of him. I hear lots of music on the local jazz station here (Cool FM) that gets passed off as "cool jazz", but to me it's pretty much just instrumental pop. When I listen to it, I rarely hear any "cool jazz" influences like the Birth of the Cool recordings by Miles Davis. Listen to those, and you'll know what "cool" sounds like ;)

Here's the site of a realy cool (not the genre of cool", russian saxophonist, Igor Butman. I saw him live at the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival and was very wowed. He played this weird mix of modal/free jazz and eastern european folk, http://www.igorbutman.com/index.html

check it out, very talented.

I laughed when I read the first post here, since a while back there was a "Rate the band above" thread, and I posted Charlie Parker after someone posted B.B. King in hopes that maybe I wasn't too naive in thinking someone else on a board like this had heard of some old jazzmen. Instead, people were just bitching about how they'd never heard of him. I was a little dismayed B)

i've heard of him, but the only reason is because one of the characters in a book i read was really into him.

<shrug>

I've never even heard of jazz-metal, what's it like?

Sporadic, improvised, syncopated metal with a wide assortment of instruments.

I'll post some ED when i get my cd back.

haha. ED.