hey i'm into jazz. i'm part of the Humber College Community Music program since i was like 3, so i grew up with music and i'm in a jazz band, have been since i was like 10. We play Music Fest the competition and always get invited to nationals, this year was Vancouver it was pretty hip we got stuck in an elevator at the Hilton for almost an hour. ahah anyways i do enjoy the ones you mentioned the greats right, but i'm trying to get to know more musicians that are you know..alive. what's really great is that at my music school all the teachers are real musicians like that's what they live off of they play gigs when they're not teaching, so it's nice to hear their stuff. you should check out Pat Metheny a jazz guitarist he is freaking amazing, and he destroyed Kenny G on his site recently. google that, it's a laugh if you can understand it.

wow, i went to music fest canada too! im in concert and jazz band, but my favourite is jazz band. we didnt get stucj in an elevator, but our drummer arrived 15 minutes before our performance. I like some of pat metheny's music, mostly his more experimental side. he's playing at the montreal jazz festival right now.

hey i'm into jazz. i'm part of the Humber College Community Music program since i was like 3, so i grew up with music and i'm in a jazz band, have been since i was like 10. We play Music Fest the competition and always get invited to nationals, this year was Vancouver it was pretty hip we got stuck in an elevator at the Hilton for almost an hour. ahah anyways i do enjoy the ones you mentioned the greats right, but i'm trying to get to know more musicians that are you know..alive. what's really great is that at my music school all the teachers are real musicians like that's what they live off of they play gigs when they're not teaching, so it's nice to hear their stuff. you should check out Pat Metheny a jazz guitarist he is freaking amazing, and he destroyed Kenny G on his site recently. google that, it's a laugh if you can understand it.

My band directors had his anti-Kenny G rant posted on the bulletin board in the band room for a while. I got quite a kick out of reading it. Anyhoo, if you're looking for musicians who are still alive, then Dave Holland is pretty good, Metheney and Wynton Marsalis are great, too.

hahaha that's great, it took me a while to figure out if "gorelick" was some obscene word or if it was Kenny's last name. turns out his name is Kenny Gorelick. come on, don't you just want to yell that from a window and see what happens. my brother used to study with this really crazy tenor sax player named Kirk MacDonald, you should definately check him out in the Nancy Walker Quartet they played at my music school's concert their latest album is "Levitation".

that's awesome about music fest, yeah i think it's pretty worthwhile but it's not much of a challenge anymore so this year they brought in a new program. i do it with my highschool too but we don't go to nationals.

Bill Frisell; Unique, inspriring, and accessible jazz musician who incorporates many contemporary styles into his playing. Good for non-jazz listeners to help breed styles into your ear.

E.S.T.; a fresh band (piano based) who also utilizes many genres to compose alternate styles of jazz and rock.

Check 'em out.

Ephel Duath are crazy. In a good way.

i'll post some more if you want.

please do, I'm loving the two songs you already posted.

I've actulay thought it would be cool to do some sort of jazz-rock like that, rather than the funkier stuff already in existence, but I could never find anything that matched what was in my head. Now I have.

Old man windows media player aint feelin' cooperative today. "The input media format is invalid."

I'm, assuming it's good.

This year I'm in the senior half of junior jazz band, so we are still playing "tight shoes blues". Last year we played a Lenny Niehaus verison of Now's the time, and a cool arrangement of "a child is born"

Yeah it doesnt open with Windows Media Player, but it works fine on winamp. It's good stuff, but it's more "Big Band" music as opposed to jazz.

But that doesnt make it any less awesome.

Big band is jazz...but I'm glad you like it ;)

It doesn't play on Windows Media Player, unfortunately.

Last year we played a Lenny Niehaus verison of Now's the time

I might've played that last year. Is that the one where the drums cut out for the first 12 bars of the second trumpet solo, and the written solo is basically the same riff repeated over again?

Edited by no yu begin wher i end

Yeah it doesnt open with Windows Media Player, but it works fine on winamp. It's good stuff, but it's more "Big Band" music as opposed to jazz.

But that doesnt make it any less awesome.

Big band is jazz...but I'm glad you like it ;)

It doesn't play on Windows Media Player, unfortunately.

Last year we played a Lenny Niehaus verison of Now's the time

I might've played that last year. Is that the one where the drums cut out for the first 12 bars of the second trumpet solo, and the written solo is basically the same riff repeated over again?

Nope, this one the drums cut out haflway through the shout course, then blast back in. There were no improvised solos, just sectional solis. The saxs played the original Charlie Parker solo note for note, and the trumpets played the Miles Davis solo note for note with harmon mutes. It actualy sounded quite good.

I got the song to work in another media player, I like it. The drums especially do a good job of accentuating in all the right places.

Edited by Disestabulistic

I listen to Free Jazz a lot.

John Zorn is really kicking experimental stuff. I don't know if anyone has heard of him, but he has some sweet Collaberations with Mike Patton and the Boredoms. The music is just really Out There and cool.