heyrabbit

Biggest "grown On You" Albums

I f'in hated Weezer's Pinkerton album the first time i heard it. But then i played it a second time and my opinion changed completly and it remains to date one of my favorite albums.

I think anything by Beck also takes some getting used to.

The Walkmen - Bows & Arrows album had to grow on me a bit too.

And on the discussion of Avalanche i think it's important for me to get this out in the open, so we can all move past it: I despise that record. I like 4 songs on that album in total. When the cd came out i was so pumped (especially after hearing Weapon and seeing the video) but once i popped it in, i was just so dissapointed. I didn't like matt encorporating politics into his songs. Not because i dislike it when artists do that, but because his songs were so cliched and weakened by it. I thought WLRRR was an enormous improvement in quality.

Anyway i'm glad we could talk about this. I got a lot off stuff off my chest today. Same time tomorrow?

Swell

I f'in hated Weezer's Pinkerton album the first time i heard it. But then i played it a second time and my opinion changed completly and it remains to date one of my favorite albums.

I think anything by Beck also takes some getting used to.

The Walkmen - Bows & Arrows album had to grow on me a bit too.

And on the discussion of Avalanche i think it's important for me to get this out in the open, so we can all move past it: I despise that record. I like 4 songs on that album in total. When the cd came out i was so pumped (especially after hearing Weapon and seeing the video) but once i popped it in, i was just so dissapointed. I didn't like matt encorporating politics into his songs. Not because i dislike it when artists do that, but because his songs were so cliched and weakened by it. I thought WLRRR was an enormous improvement in quality.

Anyway i'm glad we could talk about this. I got a lot off stuff off my chest today. Same time tomorrow?

Swell

you thought avalanche was too political, yet you liked wlrrr? are you sure you have the right albums?

No no. What i mean is that his political commentary in Avalanche is hardly commentary, and it's very bland, cliche and relativly annoying. It wasn't that it was too political. It was that it sucked at being political.

I thought the songs on WLRRR had far more substance lyrically.

Because Rivers fucking hates it with a passion. It's somewhat tragic.

When they released "The Blue Album" it was a big success and everyone loved it. Unfortunatly Rivers is a sucker for making people like him. So when the critics and the fans said it was amazing, he loved it all. But after breaking up with a serious girlfriend (who played the cello) he locked himself away and wrote the Pinkerton album in depression and angst etc.. When it was recorded and released, Rivers thought that it was his "masterpiece" and was really fuckin' pumped about how it turned out. But the critics tore it apart, which obviously affected Rivers' perception of the album. The fact that it's so personal is probably one reason why Rivers doesn't like it, but the main reason is that the critics hated something that he poured his soul and energy into. And he took it a bit personal.

Since then he's been quoted a million times saying that he's constantly trying to make the perfect album. Trying to get that mainstream appeal/love. Unfortunatly he sucks at it, because they eventually released "Beverly Hills." And that is easily the shittiest song i've heard since LFO released an album.

maybe he wasn't trying to be political at all. i think wlrrr is his weakest lyrically because of the political bullshit

*gasp*

5 words: Blue Skies Over Bad Lands...

just because he thinks it is the weakest lyrically doesn't mean he thinks it's all pure shit...

be honest, though.. the lyrics are nothing compared to the delicious things he's written before, and a couple of songs with great lyrics don't make up for the rest of the album's less than great lyrics. seriously.. "alert status red, but the sun comes up instead"???? ;)(n)

hmm. now i have that song in my head. lame lyrics are forgiven by catchiness and a head filled with hand claps.

Which albums have grown on you?

Every MG album has grown on me and continues to grow on me like an evil fungus that requires daily feedings.

Also, frogstomp has grown to be one of my favorite albums, and ashes of the wake.

frogstomp is a friggin amazing album! and it has definitly grown on me. but the album that has grown on me the most would have to be avalanche by matthew good. when i first got it i only like 2 songs and never listened to the cd but then one day i listened through again and realzied it was a masterpiece.