andydanger

Fans Post 2002

i can't help but notice as i read a lot of these that a fair amount of people here (to me) seem to have only known about matt since he became a solo artist, which leads me to wonder what it was that helped you find out about him. his blog? the songs? i don't know but i have a feeling there are a whole lot more americans who know about matthew good than americans who knew about mgb....

so i guess really i'm just asking everybody when and how they found out about him or mgb.

for me it was 1998 watching the everything is automatic video on much in ontario.

you?

i can't help but notice as i read a lot of these that a fair amount of people here (to me) seem to have only known about matt since he became a solo artist, which leads me to wonder what it was that helped you find out about him. his blog? the songs? i don't know but i have a feeling there are a whole lot more americans who know about matthew good than americans who knew about mgb....

so i guess really i'm just asking everybody when and how they found out about him or mgb.

for me it was 1998 watching the everything is automatic video on much in ontario.

you?

from saturnine, a year or so ago

<shrug>

i'm american, hardly anyone knows who he is here, as a solo artist or with mgb. if saturnine hadn't shared stuff with me, i doubt i would ever have heard him and it hurts me to think about that.

i'm american, hardly anyone knows who he is here, as a solo artist or with mgb.

Yeah, I caught Anti-Pop on MuchMusic USA in early '02. I only sorta liked the song, but really dug the video, so I had no plans to delve into the catalog. Then I heard a couple of tracks from Avalanche and decided I had to buy it. The rest is history.

Similar stories as others here. I saw "Everything Is Automatic" on MuchMusic and loved it. I went to A&B Sound to pick up the record but because MGB was in town for a no minor show at Red's in a few weeks they were sold out of copies. I headed to HMV and paid more than I should have for it and eight years later here I am.

Being in Vancouver I heard all of his stuff on the Fox, since the first seeds. I always liked it, but I was never really a big CD buyer. I would just make the "safe" buys, so I never picked up LOTGA or Underdogs. By the time Beautiful Midnight came around, I had loosened my "CD buying policies", and picked it up. Instant love.

i was kinda living in Vancover for a couple of years and got into a lot of canadian artists while hanging there. (the FOX is still my favorite station- though i cant get it this far south) it's how i discovered my favorite band (The Tea Party). hearing "Strange Days" on the FOX is what got me into Matt Good

My friend played Prime Time Deliverance for me just before Beautiful Midnight came out. So that was, 1998? Never had cable so I didn't have exposure to him before that since our radio station here doesn't play him.

Also, my friend had printed some of the old manifestos off the site for me (no computer until 2003) and I loved them.

The rest is history.

Yeah, I caught Anti-Pop on MuchMusic USA in early '02. I only sorta liked the song, but really dug the video, so I had no plans to delve into the catalog. Then I heard a couple of tracks from Avalanche and decided I had to buy it. The rest is history.

you know, we had much music for awhile, before they changed it to fuse, and anytime i just flipped past it they would be playing the same crap as mtv, so i just assumed it was mtv canada. never even crossed my mind that there could be good canadian bands on there.

;)

you know, we had much music for awhile, before they changed it to fuse, and anytime i just flipped past it they would be playing the same crap as mtv, so i just assumed it was mtv canada. never even crossed my mind that there could be good canadian bands on there.

Honestly, most of the time, they did play the same crap as MTV. Sometimes worse. There was a video by a band called Hot Action Cop that they played regularly back then that was one of the worst songs/videos I've ever seen.

The trick was that during the early overnight hours, they'd simulcast MuchMusic Canada. I was working nights at home back then, and would occasionally flip it on for background noise. Most often, I'd think of it whichever night Ed the Sock's Big Wham Bam was on, and I think that's where I saw Anti-Pop. (I saw Apparitions on that show once, but it didn't strike me at the time.)

But, honestly, MMCanada played a lot of crap, too, especially during Ed's show.

American crap is pretty easy to ignore, but Canadian crap gets tons and tons of airplay (in Canada) cause of that whole Canadian Content thing. Oof.

;)

Edited by uglyredhonda

I heard Symbolistic White Walls on the campus radio one afternoon, and I thought it was pretty catchy, but with a bit of looking around realized that it was impossible to find on CD (The guys at A&B weren't very helpful when it came to "custom orders" back then). It wasn't until a year or so later when I saw the EIA video, and then I picked up Underdogs without much trouble. At the time, I thought shelling out $25 for a CD was a bit much, but it's still the best $25 I ever spent. Finding Ghetto Astronauts was a bit easier at that point as well.

American crap is pretty easy to ignore, but Canadian crap gets tons and tons of airplay (in Canada) cause of that whole Canadian Content thing. Oof.

;)

ha.. it's only easy to ignore if you avoid mtv or the radio altogether. some of that shit is so annoying i can't even tune it out.

:angry: