Bizud

Sample Mixed Member Proportional Model For Canada

Wow. I never thought I'd see someone on a general interest politics board talking about mixed member proportional electoral systems.

As a political science student I would just like to say that mixed member proportional systems are the shiznit motherfucker.

Actually we all talk that way too. The other day in a seminar I heard some grad students talking about how Kissinger allegedly conspired to pop a whack nigga.

Parliament isn't supposed to reflect the national popular vote. Each riding sends one person to Ottawa to represent them, regardless of how slim the margin of victory is in that riding.

I would argue that we should keep the same "first past the post" system, and ease up on the strict party discipline to make MPs more accountable to the voters.

Parliament isn't supposed to reflect the national popular vote.  Each riding sends one person to Ottawa to represent them, regardless of how slim the margin of victory is in that riding. 

I would argue that we should keep the same "first past the post" system, and ease up on the strict party discipline to make MPs more accountable to the voters.

The House of Commons is supposed to represent the people. Thats the whole point of a lower house as opposed to an upper house. If we can get a system that actually reflects exactly where each vote goes, all the better I would say. As Kwas pointed out, it would keep us from having a party with 30% of the vote and 60% of the seats.

And how exactly are we going to ease up on party discipline?

Edited by mikebutt