Bizud

Us House Passes Flag Burning Amendment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4122814.stm

The US House of Representatives has approved a constitutional amendment allowing lawmakers to ban flag burning.

The Republican-led House voted 286-130 on the divisive measure, which now goes before the Senate.

Similar moves in the past have failed to gather the three-thirds majority required for constitutional amendments in both houses of the US Congress.

The draft amendment aims to override a 1989 Supreme Court ruling protecting flag desecration as free speech.

The issue has been a rallying cause for conservatives ever since.

It gathered political momentum in the wake of the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US.

"Ask the men and women who stood on top of the World Trade Center," said Republican Randy Cunningham, a Californian congressman.

"Ask them and they will tell you - pass this amendment"

Senate hurdle

Wednesday's vote was the fifth time the Republican-dominated House has approved the amendment.

But so far it has failed to get the required 67 votes needed in the Senate.

However Democrats are divided on the issue, and recent changes in the Senate mean the measure could be approved.

"There are too many scenarios where we would lose," Terri Ann Schroeder of the American Civil Liberties Union - which opposes the amendment - told the New York Times.

The move does not directly prohibit desecration of the flag - but allows individual state legislatures and the US Congress to enact such a ban.

If the Senate in turn approves the amendment by a two-thirds majority, it still has to be ratified by 38 states.

The constitution has been amended 27 times, including the first 10 amendments known as the Bill of Rights.

What the FUCK.

My country is so embarassing. At least it was only passed in the House so far. Now it's off to the Senate and if it manages to pass there, then to ratification from 3/4ths of the states. Seriously...this had better not go any further than it's already gone.

My country is so embarassing. At least it was only passed in the House so far. Now it's off to the Senate and if it manages to pass there, then to ratification from 3/4ths of the states. Seriously...this had better not go any further than it's already gone.

Pretty sad that it only needs 3/4 of the states, and not states representing 3/4 of hte population?

Damn, aren't 3/4 of all states redneck states?

blah blah blah 9/11 blah blah blah

did you know that there was actually no life before 9/11?

true story.

i heard they found fossils that proved there were humans present prior to 2001

<gasp>

no!

Pretty sad that it only needs 3/4 of the states, and not states representing 3/4 of hte population?

what exactly do you mean by that?

Saw this on Jon Steward last night. Funny thing is though, if one's flag is in tatters, and is no longer, I guess, PATRIOTIC enough, it's ok to dispose of it.

By burning it.

I mean that at least 3/4 of all states are redneck states and will support shitting on the constitution to advance their own bigoted agenda.

I mean that at least 3/4 of all states are redneck states and will support shitting on the constitution to advance their own bigoted agenda.

nice generalization

you disappoint me

It may be a generalization, but tell me I'm wrong.

as wrong as i would be if i went around saying mooses (???) walked the streets everywhere in canada.

have you ever been to the south? do you know anything about it at all? where'd you get your information from, huh? you think that you can front when revelation comes?

Edited by mrs jesus

i don't know if it's just me, but when the word patriotism comes up, it seems like all the american news sources have their heads up their collective asses.

maybe that's where he gets the opinion.

he's talking about the south (read: "redneck states"), not america in general. pay attention.