So you just broke up with your significant other and you're looking to play that song to fit your emotions and make you feel all the much better, what do you put in your cd player?

I know its dorky, but I never saw anything wrong with Here I Go Again by Whitesnake

Of course whenever i listen to it, i feel like i should be driving at night in the rain ;)

Beck - Lost Cause (and pretty much all of the Sea Change album)

Radiohead - Street Spirit, No Surprises

Any Elliott Smith

then to cheer me up:

Ben Folds Five - Song for the Dumped

Wilco - Misunderstood, Outtamind (Outta Site), At Least That's What You Said

When i had my first breakup i actually listened to She's got a new Disguise. Not a good song to listen to for that occasion. It echoed my mood but it wasn't a good mood.

My reccomondation is Mr.Blue Sky by Electric Light Orchestra. The cover by Nerf Herder isn't bad either. They both make me happy.

Edit: Also in regards to sad songs,

Ever since watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Beck's cover of Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime has represented the stereotypical breakup song for me.

Edited by static

Lets see, every breakup I've had was a bad one, that left me bitter and jaded.

In that case, the new Theory of a Deadman record suits nicely. Love em or hate em, they do a mean "FUCK YOU WOMAN" type song.

I gotta say, post-break up, the rock is important. Ya can't wallow in slow, sappy songs. It's just counter-productive. Here's my picks:

-Up in this town (Boy)

-Elegantly Wasted (INXS)

-Birthday (The [frickin]' Beatles)

And I'd have to second the Whitesnake and the Dido recommendations as well.

I'm not a big listener of rap but Eminems - "Superman" puts a smile on my face after troubles with a lady.

When I wanna feel all sappy I usually listen to "Flight Recorder from Viking 7" and "Apparitions". Another song I like to listen to when there's tears on the horizon is "Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush.

I'm rarely ever in that emo type of mood...but I listen to the songs anyways.

I think the "She's the one" soundtrack would just depress the hell outta him. Tom Petty's still cool though, good album too.

Come on, "I hope you never fall in love with somebody like you" ?

That one got me all like, "Yeah, that's right!"

Follow it up with "Asshole" and you're sitting pretty.