juanpe

Another Madrid 11m In London?

Multiple explosions rock London

'Terrible injuries' reported in blasts

Thursday, July 7, 2005; Posted: 6:23 a.m. EDT (10:23 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Near simultaneous explosions rocked the London Underground network and three buses at the morning rush hour, police said, causing fatalities and prompting officials to shut down the entire underground transport network.

In the first report of casualties, City of London police told CNN there had been two fatalities at Aldgate east station.

The explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G8 summit was getting underway in Scotland. Initial reports blamed a power surge, but officials were not ruling out a terrorist attack.

"There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today," said Home Secreatary Charles Clarke, Britain's top law enforcement officer. He said there were "terrible injuries."

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair urged Londoners not to panic and said it was too early to say what caused the blasts.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said he would make a statement on the London explosions from the G8 summit at 1100GMT, his spokesman said.

The Tube blasts at the height of the rush hour on Thursday were initially blamed on a power surge.

But amid the chaos eyewitnesses reported that a packed double decker bus in the Russell Square area had been severely damaged in a blast.

A second bus was reported to have been damaged in Tavistock Square.

Describing the Russell Square blast, eyewitness Belinda Seabrook told the UK Press Association she saw an explosion rip through the bus as it approached the Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

She said the bus was travelling from Euston to Russell Square and had been "packed" with people turned away from Tube stops.

Travellers emerged from underground tunnels covered in blood and soot. Scotland Yard declared the emergency a "major incident."

Emergency services were called to London's Liverpool Street Station after reports of an explosion shortly before 9 a.m.

A short while later, London Underground said there had been "another incident at Edgware Road" station in north west London.

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07...tube/index.html

This really doesnt suprise me, it has been said by many "experts" that more terrorist attacks will continue in the years comming. This makes sense as well, when we are invading countries throwing people into poverty and desperation. Desperate people act, desperatly it seems. Dont get it twisted, I do feel terrible for the people of London, being the newest victims of these types of attacks, but their are ways in which we can avoid these types of situations and they dont involve guns.

This really doesnt suprise me, it has been said by many "experts" that more terrorist attacks will continue in the years comming. This makes sense as well, when we are invading countries throwing people into poverty and desperation. Desperate people act, desperatly it seems. Dont get it twisted, I do feel terrible for the people of London, being the newest victims of these types of attacks, but their are ways in which we can avoid these types of situations and they dont involve guns.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The gap between the rich and poor nations have become far to great. People are becoming desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures. We may see a fundamental change in how world economics work in our lifetime.

As far as terrorist attacks go, this wasn't a huge one, just a larger one than the British are accustomed to. Yet it's drawn a gret deal of support for the English and their efforts against terrorism from pretty much all over the world. I find it interesting that whenever a western country is attacked, everyone's heart bleeds and rousing speeches are made by all sorts of people. When something of a greater magnitude happens in say Russia or in East Asia, people mostly dismiss it or try to justify the terrorists. Americans are still bitching about 9/11 even though since then not a single American was killed within the United States by terrorists. In non-western countries terrorist activies occur in greater frequency and magnitude, often carried out by the same people who attack the west, but hardly anyone gives a damn. Things work that way sometims I guess.

I just got back from 5 months in London so this was all a bit surreal to me. Not that it was terribly surprising (like everyone else has been saying), just that it's become my second home and it brought back a lot of memories of September 11th and living so close to NYC. Crazy.

I really liked these Matt's thoughts on his website

http://www.matthewgood.org/mblog/index.php

July 8, 2005

Bob's London Is My London

I spent most the day yesterday sitting looking out my window. I must have spent a few hours just blankly gazing at the building across from me while recalling various occasions of days and weeks roaming London