sancco

Metal - Maybe Wrong Sorta Fansite?

they're like whoa.

uhh.. progressive metal, i suppose. lengthy songs. sometimes really heavy, sometimes more melodic, some vocals sporadically, sometimes not - all within the same song.

Edited by saturnine

This thread is a mess.

Tool is arguably Progressive Rock--but that's the furthest I'd go. Deftones used to be seen as Nu Metal but not they're rock/alternative. APC: rock/alternative. Staind and Mudvayne are former Nu Metal Bands that turned into generic rock in the early 00s. Cold were always a generic rock band (Just Got Wicked was even a bad attempt at Nu Metal). Calling In Flames Metal is debatable but they've finally brought back the Metal with the last album. Killswitch Engage is Metalcore--so no even Metal. Hatebreed is a Hardcore group. Machine Head used to be Metal until the Burning Red Album (Nu Metal garbage) but they've slowly bought the Metal band. Converge is one of those Metalcore/Screamo shit bands. American head Charge = Nu metal turned generic rock. As I Lay Dying/It Dies Today = pathetic Metalcore groups. Isis is a rock band with progressive/ambient elements. AND I don't care about how "influencial" they are, Black Sabbath sound more Classic Rock than Metal.

Tool- Love 'em

Deftones- love 'em

A Perfect Circle- love 'em

Mudvayne- they're alright

Staind- only older shit

Cold- 2 songs, thats it

A Gauge For- no idea?

The Butterfly Effect- no idea?

In Flames- love 'em

Killswitch Engage- sometimes

Opeth- they're alright

This thread is a mess.

Tool is arguably Progressive Rock--but that's the furthest I'd go. Deftones used to be seen as Nu Metal but not they're rock/alternative. APC: rock/alternative. Staind and Mudvayne are former Nu Metal Bands that turned into generic rock in the early 00s. Cold were always a generic rock band (Just Got Wicked was even a bad attempt at Nu Metal). Calling In Flames Metal is debatable but they've finally brought back the Metal with the last album. Killswitch Engage is Metalcore--so no even Metal. Hatebreed is a Hardcore group. Machine Head used to be Metal until the Burning Red Album (Nu Metal garbage) but they've slowly bought the Metal band. Converge is one of those Metalcore/Screamo shit bands. American head Charge = Nu metal turned generic rock. As I Lay Dying/It Dies Today = pathetic Metalcore groups. Isis is a rock band with progressive/ambient elements. AND I don't care about how "influencial" they are, Black Sabbath sound more Classic Rock than Metal.

you thought this thread was a mess but i'd argue that your wanking all over it made things worse.

As far as the relevence of the naming of musical genres, it's really only important as far as the tracing of influences in music. It can be a useful tool for a sort of geneological study of contemporary popular music. Though, to be honest, the term 'alternative' is a catch-all term that means nearly nothing (except as a modifier of something else), and the new buzzword 'indie' is a bastardization, at best (indie = short for independent, as in: not on a major ... but not anymore).

Besides, Manowar is the only metal that is real. I mean, that's what they keep saying, so it must be right, right?

Progressive Rock: Dream Theater! Amaaaaaziiiing is all I can say about them. (And yes I know, their newer stuff is so METAL AND BLAND AND EMOTIONLESS YOU CAN'T STAND IT!" This is not entirely true. ;)

Edit: 222!!! Not exactly a very cool number, but I like it!

Edited by MarketTomato

Beginning to loathe the "is it metal?" discussion going on here, so I'll keep it brief and return to lurking.

I dig Converge. They're worth the while, and most of the stuff Kurt Ballou (their guitarist) has produced is worth checking out, as well. (Beecher, Bleeding Kansas, etc.)

Dillinger Escape Plan. Really, nothing needs saying here. It's good. All of it.

Isis is fucking glorious. Really no way around it. Oceanic is probably the easiest point of entry, or Panopticon. But all of their albums deserve attention.

Meh, don't have it in me for a write-up on all of this stuff, but if you're of a mind to enjoy the above, then:

Napalm Death (At the very least, Scum)

Godflesh

Jesu

Young Widows

Geisha

Red Sparowes.

I don't like most Metal bands because they scream instead of sing and that just annoys me.

it's another way to convey an emotion.

i never used to like any sort of screaming or yelling because i didn't understand the need, but i've slowly come around. different people express things in different ways, and if you feel the need to yell, go for it.

When I was younger I used to like bands like Lacuna Coil because the music was good and the vocals were beautiful but I stopped listening to that kind of music for some reason. I listen to Metallica here and there, that's another example of great music and good vocals without too much screaming.