sancco

Metal - Maybe Wrong Sorta Fansite?

Usually when I hear it, people are defending bands like Linkin Park or Slipknot, so it's lost its meaning.

i like slipknot. well, their last two albums. i wouldn't really consider them traditional metal (no solos). cory taylor is a decent songwriter, whether you like his music or not. i won't call slipknot amazing, though, and i'd recommend stone sour over them anyday to exemplify taylor's writing.

anyway, the only metal band i really listen to, i guess, would be nevermore. i've got a couple albums by them. no one's mentioned them in this thread, so there ya go.

Edited by 13chris13

if tool are to be considerred metal, than they're metal with brains. most people wouldnt catagorize them as straightup metal because their roots aren't limited to the genre. the widely accepted label seems to be "alt-metal", which is somewhat appropriate because they embrace elements of prog-rock, industrial, "punk", jazz, metal, etc.

the only reason why i would be reluctant to call them metal at all is that i can't think of any metal band that preceeded them who they actual sound similar to. the only bands that i can think of are either ones who started out around the same time (melvins, janes addiction) or current bands like neurosis or isis. tool's heavy tendencies mainly resemble those of the band swans, a band known for slow, almost gregorian paces but who were still able to be crushingly heavy and intense. swans were one of the heaviest bands of all time and aren't considerred "metal" whatsoever.

APC aren't really metal, but they've often described themselves as black sabbath meets the cure.

mer de noms is great. i didn't like the second one, except for a couple songs. i don't remember which ones anymore. that "beating of the wardrums" song, whatever that was. and emoticon was...meh. i only kept two songs from it: "imagine" and "fiddle and the drum".