(The Dark Materials is by Philip Pullman. Blindingly good read.)

Another fan-fugu-tastic series is called The Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's got a fantasy element to it, but the quality of the characters and writing is so incredible that I'd recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

Guest acrobate

I've read Timbit Nation and I thought it was rather interesting but I must say I prefer Will Ferguson's books, especially Why I Hate Canadians And How to Be Canadian.

I *like* Ayn Rand. But I would suggest reading the Fountainhead before reading Atlas Shrugged, 'case if you don't like the Fountainhead, you definitely won't like Atlas Shrugged. But I think that Atlas Shrugged is one of the best books ever written...it truly is a masterpiece.

One of my favourite books... Hangman by Michael Slade.

It's a pretty cool mystery/thriller book, a bit graphic in parts (example: a falsely convicted prison inmate gets castrated in a prison riot, though not overly obscene), and it really did fascinate me.

1984 by George Orwell, though it's probably a compulsory read.

Not to mention IT by Stephen King. Ridiculously long ( longer than your average bible), but I still enjoyed reading it. Wasted a whole summer on that.

Edited by ecnarf

I just finished Neuromancer by William Gibson. I'm sure some of you have heard of it - basically the original cyberpunk novel. It's amazingly stylish. If you're interested in cyberpunk (basically gritty underworld type science fiction, heavy on the cool style factor), I also recommend Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Amazing book.