supercanuk

Religion Itself Is The Fount Of Most Evil

that was social, not biblical.

I'm having trouble keeping track of your logic:

-the reason for not being gay was actually so the whole population wouldn't collapse

-the reason for having kids was so they could have boys so they could have help on the farm

-selling your daughters as slaves wasn't biblical

but selling your daughter as a slave is permitted in leviticus, which is the same book as the condemning of homosexuality. I don't get it.

Not exactly. It is possible that if God created everything, then he could've just left it after he was finished except in occasional divine interferences. Things like the water cycle or the carbon cycle are pretty self sustaining. God (or any other higher being) probably just kicked it off 6 billion years ago or so. Unless this is what you mean and it's all some sort of butterfly effect.

He's not freed from his responsibility by leaving. If I shat on the sidewalk and left, I'm still liable.If he created everything, he is responsible for everything.

your parents give birth to you. they give you instructions on how to lead a good life (what the bible is to chrisitans) but they aren't respondsbile for your actions after that. all they can do is hope you follow what they have taught you and they can't make you do anyhting. it's your choice. same with God. He created you and has tried to help you, but it's up to you if you will accept his help.

I'm having trouble keeping track of your logic:

-the reason for not being gay was actually so the whole population wouldn't collapse

-the reason for having kids was so they could have boys so they could have help on the farm

-selling your daughters as slaves wasn't biblical

but selling your daughter as a slave is permitted in leviticus, which is the same book as the condemning of homosexuality. I don't get it.

the bible doesn't say you have to. they said you can if you want to. it neither condemns or encourages it. how you respond to that is a social thing. the bible says don't be gay. that's a biblical thing. if you are a christian, it doesn't give you an option.

The bible also says that those who don't keep the sabbath holy must be put to death.

Well, yesterday, which was Saturday, I went in to Habitat for Humanity and helped build a couple houses. That's right, I worked on and desecrated the Sabbath. I suppose your only option is to stone me.

your parents give birth to you. they give you instructions on how to lead a good life (what the bible is to chrisitans) but they aren't respondsbile for your actions after that. all they can do is hope you follow what they have taught you and they can't make you do anyhting. it's your choice. same with God. He created you and has tried to help you, but it's up to you if you will accept his help.

That analogy doesn't work because my parents did not create existence. God is incomparable, according to Christians. While using christian logic, it's impossible to justify God without backtracking and being a copout. my point still stands.

That analogy doesn't work because my parents did not create existence. God is incomparable, according to Christians. While using christian logic, it's impossible to justify God without backtracking and being a copout. my point still stands.

You didn't create existence when you shat on the sidewalk.

In referal to this:

He's not freed from his responsibility by leaving. If I shat on the sidewalk and left, I'm still liable.

The difference between this example and the example of the parents is that when you shat on the sidewalk, you would know full well the consequences of your actions. When a child is born, it is doubtful that its parents would know what said child would grow up to be. Lauren's example works better than yours does. That's my point.

In referal to this:

He's not freed from his responsibility by leaving. If I shat on the sidewalk and left, I'm still liable.

The difference between this example and the example of the parents is that when you shat on the sidewalk, you would know full well the consequences of your actions. When a child is born, it is doubtful that its parents would know what said child would grow up to be. Lauren's example works better than yours does. That's my point.

My analogy is better because it's consistent with the point I made. ( I like lauren so i'll argue as friendly as possible lol)

Lauren's point was free will. That's fine. that's the typical argument people use. it made sense but that analogy specifically evaded addressing my point. where children represent children, parents represent...God? my entire point was that God is incomparable as the single source for accountability. that theory is christianity, by the way. so you can't just say, "parents have children". If God created everything, there isn't an earthly example you can use to free him from accountability.

Maybe you believe that God wasn't all-knowing.Maybe he had the ability to create life without knowing the consequences. if that's the case then it would be reasonable pass responsibility around. But as long as old J.C. knows all and created all, he's responsible for all. you've got to decide what you believe. you can't give god the cake and let him eat it too.

Edited by heyrabbit

good luck getting rid of religion, it'll never happen. it is inherent in humanity and will never disppear.

although many have predicted that the 21st century will feature a war between religion and science like never before. i personally believe this, just look at the fierce debates about stem cell research.

When I become supreme dictator of the world I'm going to hoard irrationalist christians,muslims, buddhists etc into detainment centers where they will be psychologically evaluated and treated. this will isolate them and prevent them from spreading stupidity aswell as interfering with intelligent society. The economy will boom and I will be a god.It will become a crime to be stupid.

Why was Nazi the first thing that came into my mind when I read that?

When I become supreme dictator of the world I'm going to hoard irrationalist christians,muslims, buddhists etc into detainment centers where they will be psychologically evaluated and treated. this will isolate them and prevent them from spreading stupidity aswell as interfering with intelligent society. The economy will boom and I will be a god.It will become a crime to be stupid.

Why was Nazi the first thing that came into my mind when I read that?

Two words: Room 101

Personaly, I think the observation that religion if the fount of all evil is closed minded and uneducated (no-offense). Religion, early on, was created to explain the unexplainable, everything from earthquakes to why we are. Eventualy some (or rather lots) of bad people latched on to this occurence and took advantage of it for the purpose of expoiting and controlling people.

Not all religion is a tool to avoid thinking or a tool to control people, there are people of every religion who actualy do strictly follow the set of morals that that religion stands for. Look at Bhudism, it's a religion, but it mainly exists to help people, and to help people help other people.

As for the problems of today, I think pinning the blame on only religion, or only money etc. is out of the question if true enderstanding is what you want.

I don't claim to be inside the head of George Bush, but I think that he does genuinely belive in god blah blah blah, but he is also very motivated by personal gain and so on. Likewise for many problem casuing religious leaders.

(On a side note my personal spirituality is there is no god, and that all I know is that music brings me to a place far beyond the realm of the explainable.)

I think some people would still be evil if not for religion, but i do think that religion is one of the last bastions of pure, backwards, malevolent medieval ignorance. Not to say that all religious folks are ignorant, but its undeniable that religions say the most untrue and ridiculously ignorant things being said in the modern world.