Ravenous Yam

Walmart Rent-a-cops Kill Man For Shoplifting

http://houston.indymedia.org/news/2005/08/42397.php

Walmart Kills Houston Man for Shoplifting

by Always low prices! Saturday August 20, 2005 at 03:44 PM

Wal-Mart LP's Kill Suspected Shoplifter

Man held down on burning pavement until he died

Wal-Mart loss prevention workers tackled a man suspected of stealing diapers - a new father with a two month old child - holding him down with a choke hold and knee to the back while he was shirtless on the scalding pavement of a Wal-Mart parking lot in Texas.

The incident was witnessed by dozens of shoppers, including a prominent Texas attorney, Charles Portz:

Charles Portz said he was getting out of his car when he saw a heavy blonde haired man being chased by five people who appeared to be security or store employees. He said he saw them wrestling the man to the ground. "The blacktop was extremely hot," said Portz "He had no shirt on and they wouldn't let him up off the blacktop." He said one of the men had Driver in a chokehold and had his knee in the back of his neck as the men tried to subdue him. "He kept trying to get up and they kept pushing him back down," Portz said.

According to Portz, Driver began to plead with them men. "He's begging, 'Please call an ambulance, let me up, do something, I'm gonna die," said Portz. He said the loss prevention employees called the police more than once, but another bystander called for an ambulance after realizing Driver was in trouble. Portz said he eventually began to plead with the Walmart employees. "I told them, this guy doesn't look like he's breathing," Portz said, "They said, 'He's all right." He says he continued to plead with the men, pointing out that the man's fingernails were turning gray. "They said he's just high on something," adding, "They just kept him pinned down for twenty minutes or more until the ambulance came." He said he believed Driver was dead when the ambulance left with him, but he was not certain.

The store employees could not have known that the witness who was pleading with them to let Driver get up from the hot pavement was a high profile Houston attorney, from the Portz and Portz law firm. He said after the man was handcuffed he continued trying in vain to persuade the Walmart employees to allow him to get up, even pointing out that a second pair of cuffs could be used to attach the ones already on Driver to a nearby truck trailer. "The problem is they kept him down on the blistering concrete with no shirt on," Portz reiterated. He said law enforcement arrived at about the same time as the ambulance.

Good thing the lawyer Portz was there. Those 'loss-prevention officers' are gonna catch all kinds of shit. Stupid assholes.

I don't normally get this upset about an article, but i am really really disturbed. That is completely sickening and I hope these employees get life imprisionment. This to me, is a sentiment to the oppression of the poor. I mean yes, the man stole, but that does not condone a death sentence.

they will face manslaughter charges for sure. there's no excuse. especially in a place like houston, the tempurature of the pavement is common knowledge.

even if he was resisting arrest, there's no reason why he had to be pinned to the ground. those guards should have known how to do an arm bar and wrist lock etc. there's also no excuse for not checking his vital signs. that's ridiculous.

they will face manslaughter charges for sure. there's no excuse. especially in a place like houston, the tempurature of the pavement is common knowledge.

even if he was resisting arrest, there's no reason why he had to be pinned to the ground. those guards should have known how to do an arm bar and wrist lock etc. there's also no excuse for not checking his vital signs. that's ridiculous.

not a chance. negligence causing death at most.

The rash or negligent act which is declared to be a crime is one not amounting to culpable homicide, and it must be therefore be taken that intentionally or knowingly inflicted violence, directly and willfully caused, is excluded.

PUNISHMENT

Whoever causes death by doing any rash or negligent act shall be punished with imprisonment, which may extend to two years, or fine, or with both.

That was intentional violence. The guy was begging to be let up off the pavement.

The only reason this happened is because rentacops are (stereotypically) always sexually frustrated men who need to make themselves feel big by forcing their will upon those with the disadvantage.

(I had to say it)

They're gonna expand the death penalty down there to include shoplifting and petty vandalism eventually, so really, what does it matter?

you're a fucking idiot.

seriously, if that's the best you can do, then just shut up.

They're gonna expand the death penalty down there to include shoplifting and petty vandalism eventually, so really, what does it matter?

you're a fucking idiot.

seriously, if that's the best you can do, then just shut up.

thank you.

That was intentional violence. The guy was begging to be let up off the pavement.

The only reason this happened is because rentacops are (stereotypically) always sexually frustrated men who need to make themselves feel big by forcing their will upon those with the disadvantage.

(I had to say it)

it's true.

And Daniel, the other Daniel will always be here for you...

"yeah? rent-a-cop this" BANG!

Sorry, I loled at this one. But that doesn't mean I find this situation funny! Quite the opposite in fact. The opposite of funny was this situation for sure. The icing on the cake was the poor guy was stealing diapers for his new baby