Lauren

Buffalo Seven

i was somehting about it in the faq section but i didn't want to read 6 pages of discussion. here is what i have found:

From The Edmonton Journal (author: Sandra Sperounes):

"For Matthew Good, 2001 was an extremely bad year.

His ill-fated band was struggling to make its final record, The Audio of Being. He broke up with his girlfriend of eight years and moved into a ridiculously cramped bachelor apartment in Vancouver.

As his world was crumbling around him, Good managed to find a tiny shred of solace in the unlikeliest item: a '50s-style drawing of a bunch of guys (7) on horseback, standing at the edge of a cliff.

"I taped it to the edge of the wall next to my bed," he says. "My bed was next to a sliding glass door and I never closed the curtains so there was always light coming in. The only time I had when I wasn't thinking of the despair of the situation was when I was looking at that picture."

That drawing, his former apartment and his feelings of futility are now immortalized on Buffalo Seven, one of 13 tracks on Good's latest solo album, White Light Rock & Roll Review. "

maybe you have already read this. if so, good for you haha.

wow, ill have to listen more closely to the lyrics i guess. Does it sound like they are related?

Matthew Good - Buffalo Seven

A hand off the heart

One on the wolf until your lambs itch

Life lives in the dark

But you joke and you kid about the light switch

Lay down no talking

Stand up start walking

You run and you run and there’s no time to think

No time to breathe

No time at all

Just the buffalo seven

A hand on the heart

One on the wolf until your lambs bleed

Life live in the dark

But you joke and you kid about the light in me

Lay down no talking

Stand up start walking

You run and you run and there’s no time to think

No time to breathe

No time at all

Just the buffalo seven

"A hand on the heart" probably means that he was feeling pain in life. This part:

Life lives in the dark

But you joke and you kid about the light switch

sounds like a reference to suicide. anybody agree?

i think im starting to understand now . ;)

Would you say that Matt is a pretty happy guy now?

Because it sounded like life sucked for him that year ;)

Hope everything is okay with him... i mean he is married to a beautiful woman, he is still successful without the band... things gotta be going good now!

yes definately a lot happier.

I think that he changed after the band broke up...he seems a lot more mature now too. I respect him more now, as an artist and as a human being...He went through alot of shit, but i think he has over come it.

I'd probably think that he's happy now: two albums after that period - very good albums -, a family with his wife, his success, the feeling that we fans love him and love his music...

i guess it is a lot of possitive feedback, enough for him to feel happier, dont you think so?

I don't think so either... he's a nice person - that's the impression I have, i dont know him personally - and I guess he'll forget it soon and won't influence in his relationship with fans (i'm just guessing...)

I don't think he'd ever carry over his personal problems into his relationships with fans. he seems like the sort of person that wouldn't complain alot about how he's feeling. he'd just sit around alot thinking about it on his own, then pull himself out of the funk.

but i don't know him haha.

Good for Matt, he is a great guy you know.... at least i think he is. Never met him and probably never will.

But thats the way things go, must be weird for him to have so many people know you but you dont know them. What do you think?

I agree with you... I've never experienced such a thing but guessing what a great guy Matt must be, I'm sure he would feel weird having so many people around who know him and he doesnt know us...

i'm just thinking of myself if i was in the same situation... i would feel very weird experiencing that being the kind of person I am ;)

yeah, i guess its weird having so many people know and like you without ever meeting them. He must have gotten used to it by now. HE doesnt get too nervous around insane fans does he? What kinda philosophy does he have towards fans?

One that is common is : the fans make me who i am, without them i am nothing

does matt take that kind of approach?

I guess he does... I suppose he's aware of the fact that there are many fans who love his music and what you say: as an artist - not as a person - probably he is nothing without us because we are the ones who give him feedback, who sing his songs, who enjoy his songs, who get emotional with his songs, who feel his songs (as Placebo's song "Without you I'm nothing", decicated to their fans, as they once said in an interview...)...

if i was an artist, i would have things very clear: I would be as my fans would want me to be

must be weird for him to have so many people know you but you dont know them. What do you think?

We do know a lot about him, but that's the way it goes when you write such personal songs.

I've had the privelege to meet him twice, but i only got to talk with him for a couple minutes (b/c he's pressed for time) But i honestly think that he wants to know a lot about his fans. I think he's very interested in people's opinions. That's why he is open to emails and forums.

that's true... I dont know him personally but that's the feeling I have, that he is very interested in people's opinions, points of view, critiques, etc... I wrote him twice and he answered me both times (he hasn't answered to the bd e-mail we sent him yet but i guess eventually he will do it)... that's not very common with artists, they are always so busy, so pressed by time that they dont normally have time to answer other people's e-mails or forums... or they are not as interested in other people's opinions as Matt is...

wow.. i would love to have an email from matt haha

he gives 110% to us fans, and we all feel it

it shows in us too, they type of people we are

i honeslty have never met such a nice group of people as matt good fans. at his concert, i made friends. at a concert! i think he appreciates the way we act too. his true fans are civilized people who don't eat all the shit they're fed.

I guess that is what makes Matt special and different from many other famous artists: he gives a lot to us fans and we can feel it... this is important for him AND of course important for us fans...

I hear Matt Good's a real asshole...

...you know i'm just kidding, but do you remember this quote from the BM days.

I hate it when people think others are assholes just cause they speak their minds...and word gets around and before you know it, someone comes up with this slogan

If people don't speak their minds they are just mindless slaves that fame and popularity seem to engulf sometimes. Matt Good seems to be a real down to earth kind of guy. I was watching Much Music one day and was thinking to myself... geeze, how much more fake can this Hillary Duff get?

Im sure hillary duff is a nice person, but she seemed to just giggle along and say stuff like "i really care about giving to charity". And when they asked her where she was going to help a charity she seemed to blank out for a second.

What she said just seemed very fake to me. Matt Good isn't fake and im greatful for that. ;)