Dan #1

Female version of Matthew Good

Well the title pretty much explains it... who do you think it is and why? Girls naturally have a different sounding voice. With this in account, just pick some female that may have a similar style to Matt.

difficult, man!!! ;)

thinking of Matt's deep, sweet voice and the feelings he provokes in me when i hear his songs, i would say P.J. Harvey (a British singer)... her voice is also very deep and sweet, she really feels her songs and makes you "fly away" when you hear her songs...

probably the music is not exactly the same (as I said in other posts here, i havent found a similar singer/band yet as Matt) but what her music makes me feel is more or less the same as Matt does...

I would say Holly Mcnarland. Their music is different, but to me she comes the closest to being the female version just because the lyrical style can be similar as well as the vocals - she can be very intense at times and at other times quiet, thoughtful and emotional. But, I still think that MG stands on his own, which is what makes him so special. No music in the world is like his.

You probably do know her if you have the Loser Anthems CD cause she is the female voice on Flight Recorder From Viking 7. She is canadian too and I believe she toured with MG back in the MGB days. Her music is kind of alternative rock i guess. If you go to her website you can listen to her music. www.hollymcnarland.ca I recommend music from her first album: Stuff. Her voice is amazing.

wow, it seems that Holly McNarland is pretty good ;) I will have to download something from her... Anton, what's her webpage, or the name of one of her albums, please?

Edited by juanpe

Hi. I'm new here. I've been around the boards for ages (RHF, etc) but retired away from the last year or so.

Anyway, it was funny because before even seeing any of your responses, Holly McNarland was exactly who came to my mind. All of your have included many good reasons why so I won't add on.

Another could possible be Ani DiFranco. Both for reasons of the folk roots mixed with political messages and their own styles of singing. That's where the similarities would end I suspect.

Otherwise, Holly McNarland has my vote.

Cheers

~A

Welcome to NF ;)

Holly McNarland was very good in Flight Recorder from Viking Seven in the loser anthems album. In fact im going to listen to it right now. Maybe Matt should consider doing another song with her?

Off topic: I haven't seen enough videos to know that (only seen ASR and Rico?) pretty sad... but what is the best way to view his videos?

I havent seen McNarland either but will be looking at her site in a minute.

I just looked at Holly McNarland on her site... some of her pictures make her look like she is related to MG... some other pictures not so much. But yeah her voice is awesome and one song that i really like is "Numb". I remember this being played quite a while ago, its really good.

Ill try and find some MG videos to watch later, not tonight.