VenusWasAFlytrap

Rooms

From the time I learned of its release, I was looking forward to the Rooms disc from In A Coma. I was not let down. He managed to remix some songs that you would not have been able to imagine as accoustic into really nice versions of the originals. Generation X-Wing was one of the songs that surprised me because I have always loved that song and never pictured it done accoustically. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise and I love the new version. What do you think of the accoustic songs? Any that stand out as particularily well done or maybe that don't work for you guys?

I would just like to say Matt's new version of PTD is exceptional, since he had the task of making it sound fresh, which he did, I think it will grow on everybody, cause were all used to his version on Underdogs, so it sounds weird at first, but will sound better the more we hear it. The rest of "Rooms" is very good as well, with HTB being a pleasant surprise and Truffle Pigs as well, the highlight for me is POlice Cars, sooooooooooooooooooooo good.

compared to the rest of ROOMS PTD isn't as good quality.

I disagree. I think the fact that PTD is one of the oldest songs on the reworked list (and the one that has the longest gap since it was ever played live) has to be taken into account. The original version of the song is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I guess I like this new version because it's a testament of how Matt has been able to rediscover and rework a song from his past, especially one that he's distanced himself from for so long. Listening to the track, and the effects that he's added to it, one can easily see that there are new depths to his take on the song lyrics, not to mention how he's approached it vocally. Listening to the vocals, one can easily note the changes Matt's voice has gone through in the last eight years, and how he might have stuggled with approaching the piece again.

All that said, I'm delighted with it. I can see how it wouldn't be a favorite for some, but my attatchment to that song (in all it's forms) is quite high.

Just my 2 cents.

I've already said it but I'm gonna say it again, The acoustic songs are amazing.

Tripoli and Strange Days are standing out for me and I love the way Hello Time Bomb and North American for Life are changed so much and are so incredible.

Only thing I'm not 100% happy with is the ending of Advertising on Police cars. The way his voice goes up at the end of the origional when he says "baby don't get out of bed just...." and then his voice at the very end of the song after that is my favorite part of that song.-and he took that out. Still done very well though.

Prime Time Deliverance is very different but growing on me very quickly.

North American For Life sounds retarted like that. There's absolutely no attitude to it, and of course, the kick ass guitar solo is gone.

i agree that there is no attitude...

it sounds alright though...

I disagree. I think the fact that PTD is one of the oldest songs on the reworked list (and the one that has the longest gap since it was ever played live) has to be taken into account. The original version of the song is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

i agree with you as well, but still had higher expectations for this song. but see where you're coming from.

Edited by X-Rated Truffle Pig

it doesn't need attitude.. the original has attitude. should've just redone the originals exactly as they were so we couldn't even tell they were redone and then we could bitch about how nothing was changed.

Exactly what I was thinking, only better than I would have put it.

i'm actually terribly disappointed with the overall concept of rooms. i was under the impression that it was one take 36 minutes long with some street noise mic'd into the background. i was not expecting such structured layering, overdubbing and general studio trickery. needless to say, i am left a little jaded by the whole premise.

i'm actually terribly disappointed with the overall concept of rooms. i was under the impression that it was one take 36 minutes long with some street noise mic'd into the background. i was not expecting such structured layering, overdubbing and general studio trickery. needless to say, i am left a little jaded by the whole premise.

i think that without the layering and such it would have been kind of a weak release. in my opinion it sounds so much better with the effects and the addition of piano, etc. otherwise it would have been like his uninvited guest performance, which was unimpressive. plus i like the sound of his voice pre-surgery and some of the lower parts on "rooms" i doubt he could pull off live. needless to say i'm glad it is as produced as it is.