mself084

Tripoli

Matt said in the CFOX interview that he had no particular reason for naming it Tripoli. As for my beliefs as to the meaning of the song, it's from the viewpoint of someone very depressed because of perhaps the death of a loved one or a breakup. Perhaps a self-destructive loved one committed suicide "where do you hole up to mutilate the day away from me". The "best to smile" part could indicate it's best to pretend everything's fine and dandy when it's not.

" Best to revile...baby Jesus" part could indicate a loss of faith (in God, the world, etc.). "When I lost the car keys" I think means that the death was caused by a car accident(or perhaps a deliberate crash).

"Best to stay sleeping...I will awake to be a has been" is an indication that the person is so depressed that they don't even want to get out of bed and they feel they have no future without this loved one and everything feels pointless. "when I lost your heart key" I think means the person feels as if the person who committed suicide didn't love them anymore.

So yeah, it's a sad sad song. But a really really good song.

Sorry for such a long post. I believe it answers the thread starter's question rather thoroughly. ;)

It's just saturnine. Just ignore his posts or something and everything will be happier.

hey man, don't single me out.. i didn't even make a snide remark until the 17th post of the thread..

Edited by saturnine

Does anyone remember runningforhome.net the person who ran the site a.k.a. super fan interviewed Matthew about all of his songs and had written explanations for the songs.

Matt and the guy I don't remember his name I think he is in one of Matt's music videos Rico but this is beside the point

I think the song is about heat break but that is a bit weak for matt so suicide would make more sense. The surgery would be another good topic. Has anyone thought it is about the band break up? For example Matthew is loosing in touch with the band members.

Matt named it Tripoli for no reason but he said he saw the word, Tripoli on a street sign when he was filming Carmelina video by the TD Bank "The Office Building" and wanted to name a song after it and he miss pronounced it.

Trip

I think the song is about heat break but that is a bit weak for matt so suicide would make more sense. The surgery would be another good topic. Has anyone thought it is about the band break up? For example Matthew is loosing in touch with the band members.

Has anyone ever heard the song, Tripoli with the crank call in the middle of it?

It is named "Tripoli (Infected Re-Mix)" on the internet.

Personally, when I listen to it/read the lyrics, I get the impression it's about drugs, likely cocaine/heroin. It sounds like it is written from the perspective of someone who is slowly losing his grip on reality and watching those around him become distant and strange. Suicide or surgery would make sense. Or cancer. If it was written from the perspective of someone dying of cancer, it would work too, I suppose.

That's what I thought, anyway.

And as for the "remix", I've heard it. I used to have it but it's on my old computer that someone stole. I always just thought it was the way he did the song... the call isn't actually in the middle of the song, as if it was added in, it plays over most of the second verse and then I think the opening of the second run through the chorus. I heard it before I heard the album version of Tripoli and just assumed it was like the cropped version of Appartions... just a different version sent to radio or leaked or whatnot.

It's been a while, but I wouldn't mind hearing it again. I don't remember it being better then the regular one, though, but it's around.

Has anyone ever heard the song, Tripoli with the crank call in the middle of it?

It was leaked by Matt/the band shortly before AoB came out.

No different than the album version other than Matt talking over the second chorus, repeatedly asking what song it was. I don't think I have it anymore though, so you can post it if you're feeling generous.

edit: oops, that's what I get for not reading every post.

Edited by Seanathon

Does anyone remember runningforhome.net the person who ran the site a.k.a. super fan interviewed Matthew about all of his songs and had written explanations for the songs.

Matt and the guy I don't remember his name I think he is in one of Matt's music videos Rico but this is beside the point

Tyler Pedrotti. runningforhome.net

He was in a video as a kid in a lunchline for about 5 seconds.

Remember how Tyler had that "exclusive" forum and Matt posted on the message board to the "exclusive" fans- I was one of them... I think there were about 50 of us in there before it closed. And I remember I posted that it was my 18th birthday and Matt noted my birthday and I think that was like the best moment of my life ever up until that point. (That's like 4 years ago, I'm 22 now)

I have that Tripoli track on my computer.

ahhhh the good old days...

Just to jump in, since you asked what Tripoli means to people...

Re-listening now. Heh. This is my all time favourite. It basically got me into Matt Good. I was sitting at a friend's house, and she had a random mix CD, and I heard this song on it while we were chatting and just said "Wow, what the hell is that?" Since then it's become something very powerful for me. I was on the verge of tears when first listening to the acoustic on Rooms.

I hear it differently than, it seems, most else do. To me it's a song about rebirth. "Where has my head gone..." I see as someone looking back on their life and going "What was I thinking?" Maybe looking at their friends and being surprised they're still there ("Do you hold up..."). Then finally the character feels all the idiocy, all the bad things that have gone on slip away, and he's reborn. I guess I just see the song as so...powerful. Not really upbeat, but sad in the way of like...a breakup that is for the best. Or something that hurts you deeply but only makes you stronger.

That's how I see it anyway.

-Tom.