ecnarf

Toronto's Centre Of The Universe Complex?

Having just read up on the mblog (and that sounds dirty to say), what the hell is with the "So much for Toronto's centre of the universe complex" comment?

It's a dark spot in an otherwise intelligent and well thought-out blog. And the comments aren't much better.

I'd like to know where the anti-Toronto bias comes from. Really. What exactly have we done to earn your disdain? Having a larger population? Being the economic capital of Canada? Having a better hockey team? Simply being born here because when our grandparents immigrated here this is where they landed?

I'll have you know that Torontonians don't, as hard as it might be to believe, have mass orgies celebrating the inferiority of Calgary or Edmonton or Vancouver. And we don't spend our spare time talking about how absolutely awesome our city is or how much better we are than everyone else.

Really, what the fuck? Is it jealousy or something?

I don't claim to know what that's all about. I don't really have disdain for Toronto, but in the limited time i have spent there i didn't like it very much. That doesn't really count for anything though.

Perhaps it's just an anti-Eastern/Central Canada bias?

Well Toronto is the evil-empire but they don't really think of themselves as the centre of the universe do they?

Hardly.

In fact, I don't think I've heard anyone claim Toronto to be the best anything in the 24 years I've lived here. I don't think it's anything special either, actually, certainly not bad though.

I thought it was a somewhat silly comment, but what can ya do?

I was thinking about that earlier. I don't know anyone, nor have I ever heard anyone imply that Toronto is particularly important compared to the rest of the country....big, sure, but that's it.

I mostly just make reference to that 'call the army to shovel our snow' thing they did a few years back. Good times.

Yah I have heard a lot of people make comments about how "egocentric" Torontonians are, and how completely ungrounded that assumption is, it is still prevalent. I think it may stem from others ignorance, for example, most Americans only really know Toronto and Vancouver, diminishing the value of amazing cities like Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, etc. I guess we just are not as large and as metropolitan as Toronto so we don

Its funny I was just thinking of this very topic on the way to work this morning with the whole "Toronto is the centre of the universe" thing, I recall that it was a marketing ploy, and who listens to commercials anyhow, more importantly why would the rest of the country take what some dude sitting in his office who makes a living making things look good what he has to say as the be all and end all of how the people of Toronto feel about Toronto. Do these same people think that all rappers love milk? I dont think so.

I like Toronto, Im pretty happy here, but I certainly don't think that it's the best city in the universe.

All the references Toronto gets on the Simpsons makes the rest of Canada jealous.

sometimes it hurts to hear: "Canada...that's in Toronto isn't it?"

Many of us have stopped watching Simpsons due to that kind of filth.

bullshit. that's just regurgitative rhetoric that you've heard from left-lib media and your teachers. the education system was fucked before harris touched it.it's not his fault that the TDSB mismanage their money.

Infact,he's one of the only politicians I can think of who actually did what he said what he was going to do.

And obviously you don't realize that a large percentage of Canada's population is due to the 'multiculturalism'. Please educate yourself before you make idiotic comments.
Just like how the U.S's population is so large because of its multiculturalism right? don't tell me to educate myself about multiculturalism when you donm't even know what it means.

bullshit. that's just regurgitative rhetoric that you've heard from left-lib media and your teachers. the education system was fucked before harris touched it.it's not his fault that the TDSB mismanage their money.

Infact,he's one of the only politicians I can think of who actually did what he said what he was going to do.

And obviously you don't realize that a large percentage of Canada's population is due to the 'multiculturalism'. Please educate yourself before you make idiotic comments.
Just like how the U.S's population is so large because of its multiculturalism right? don't tell me to educate myself about multiculturalism when you donm't even know what it means.

HMM, funny you would think that. Give me your definition of Multiculturalism.

And come talk to me when you've been inside the school system, have spent hours upon hours with these students and have seen the drastic change from when I finished HIgh School (4 years ago) to the students are in High School today.

I've lived in toronto all my life. I haven't travelled much so I can't really compare it to other cities. I can say that the education system is terrible and that multiculturalism is annoying

Let's not forget that were it not for multiculturalism, you wouldn't be living in Canada.

Quella porca...

Edited by ecnarf