Audio of Being

Matthew Good Lyrics Are Disjointed?

It's true, for the most part, on Beautiful Midnight and Audio of Being.

I'm not Matt Good, but i would say that it was intentional. As for everything else, Dan #8, i would have to disagree.

A friend of mine who is not a Matt Good fan, was listening to some songs I was playing in my car, and reading lyrics I have on my away message on aim.

Their exact quote was: I find the words very manic, and disjointed.

Any thoughts on this?

i've always thought that.

Matthew Good's lyrics have usually been disjointed and somewhat hard to decipher. A lot of them are open to interpretation and I like that. Only a few of his songs have straightforward lyrics (North American For Life, It's Been A While..., Song For The Girl, A Long Way Down).

i think his lyrics may be compiled sometimes, or at least an evolution of something else, which may lead to that disjointed feel.

I remember reading At Last... after Avalanche came out, and noticing pieces that are similiar to lyrics of his songs.

Yeah ditto. Coincidentally this was just brought up in an essay written by either TS Eliot or Yeats that we read in my English class. A lot of the time (like it said in the essay) i'll just have random disconnected thoughts/feelings/etc.. floating through my head, until i possess the ability to bond them together.

Personally i love it when lyricists have recurring ideas and symbols in their songs (ex: Interpol's use of snow and sailing.) It makes it that much more relateable.

everything i've written over the past two years is interrelated in one way or another and i've been able to swap paragraphs or singular lines and even themes in and out of different pieces depending on where they fit better.. makes it more interesting.

Audio of Being may be my favorite album for that very reason. Of all Matt's albums I think it's the most abstract and disjointed lyrically... yet it all seems to fit together. There are some really poetic excerpts in that album... personally I think he became a little too straight forward on alot of his solo stuff.