Cherry Poppin' Daddy

Stars Ripped Off Matt Good

The opening riff on 23 by Jimmy Eat World rips off Everything is Automatic.

I'm sure they didn't intentionally rip them off. But yeah, a few notes are the same, but in the end they're both completely different songs, so I dont' mind.

Edited by MarketTomato

There is a song on Underoath's latest CD that has the same opening riff as Buffallo Seven, if my memory serves me correctly.

the only song that sounds even remotely like anything matt good ever put out on the underoath cd is "reinventing your exit" and you could say that it only vaguely (as in, not at all really) sounds like the very first three notes of north american for life.

i ripped off born to kill last night for a new song i'm demoing called funeral, that i've decided to include on the bsides album.

typhoid is right. it happens all the time. this is what we in the industry call sighting influence, or creative licensing.

Edited by Scot

i ripped off born to kill last night for a new song i'm demoing called funeral, that i've decided to include on the bsides album.

typhoid is right. it happens all the time. this is what we in the industry call sighting influence, or creative licensing.

Citing.

Citing influence.

The Matthew Good Band also initially ripped off The Watchmen.

How could the MGB rip off The Watchmen?

MGB's Underdogs came out on August 25th 1998

The Watchmen's Silent Radar came out on March 31st 1998

That would give the MGB 5 months to listen to Silent Radar, write similar songs, record those songs, produce the album, promote the album, the whole record label ordeal, etc...

Then Beautiful Midnight came out which sounds nothing like The Watchmen

Plus they were originally set to record Underdogs when the Foo Fighters were recording "The Colour and The Shape" (because the guy who produced that record was originally supposed to produce Underdogs) and that record came out May 20th 1997

Citing.

Citing influence.

ha. thanks.

and really, it's only an em/c/e progression, so it's hardly ripping him off.

edit: he's ripped off the who so many times i've lost count.

also, he ripped off (payed homage to, as he put it) the cover of pink floyd's animals taking it more than a step to far with the flying panda on loser anthems. shameless, seeing as he only did it to receive a letter from david gilmore's lawyer.

Edited by Scot

That would give the MGB 5 months to listen to Silent Radar, write similar songs, record those songs, produce the album, promote the album, the whole record label ordeal, etc...

Plus they were originally set to record Underdogs when the Foo Fighters were recording "The Colour and The Shape" (because the guy who produced that record was originally supposed to produce Underdogs) and that record came out May 20th 1997

Underdogs came out in 1997. I'm pretty sure of that.

Because August 25th 1998.. Apparitions would have been 1-2 weeks away from hitting #1 on Muchmusic. Since songs take roughly 10-13 weeks to hit #1.. apparitions was already "old" and on its way down in many places.. i doubt the album would have been released during the time the 3rd single was about to fall down the charts..

oh the hell with logical explanations..

according to my advance promo copy of underdogs.. it says "release date: 10-07-97".. oct 7 97. which makes sense.. it would have been around the time EIA was released.

and the guy who produced underdogs was warne livesey.. if he produced the colour and the shape.. (which is an awesome album) give that man a prize of sorts.. he produced pretty much every album by mgb.. except LOTGA and Ray-Ray.

Underdogs came out in 1997. I'm pretty sure of that.

Because August 25th 1998.. Apparitions would have been 1-2 weeks away from hitting #1 on Muchmusic. Since songs take roughly 10-13 weeks to hit #1.. apparitions was already "old" and on its way down in many places.. i doubt the album would have been released during the time the 3rd single was about to fall down the charts..

oh the hell with logical explanations..

according to my advance promo copy of underdogs.. it says "release date: 10-07-97".. oct 7 97. which makes sense.. it would have been around the time EIA was released.

and the guy who produced underdogs was warne livesey.. if he produced the colour and the shape.. (which is an awesome album) give that man a prize of sorts.. he produced pretty much every album by mgb.. except LOTGA and Ray-Ray.

Dude read carefully...I said the guy who produced "The Colour and The Shape" (Gil Norton) was supposed to produce Underdogs

And you're right for the Underdogs release date (17 octobre 1997 to be exact)...and so my Watchmen theory works even more...

Edited by Prosis