Cherry Poppin' Daddy

Stars Ripped Off Matt Good

There is a song on Underoath's latest CD that has the same opening riff as Buffallo Seven, if my memory serves me correctly.

the only song that sounds even remotely like anything matt good ever put out on the underoath cd is "reinventing your exit" and you could say that it only vaguely (as in, not at all really) sounds like the very first three notes of north american for life.

The Underoath song is "The Impact of Reason" and i highly agree that it sounds just like the intro to "NAFL"

The Matthew Good Band also initially ripped off The Watchmen.

How could the MGB rip off The Watchmen?

MGB's Underdogs came out on August 25th 1998

The Watchmen's Silent Radar came out on March 31st 1998

That would give the MGB 5 months to listen to Silent Radar, write similar songs, record those songs, produce the album, promote the album, the whole record label ordeal, etc...

Then Beautiful Midnight came out which sounds nothing like The Watchmen

Plus they were originally set to record Underdogs when the Foo Fighters were recording "The Colour and The Shape" (because the guy who produced that record was originally supposed to produce Underdogs) and that record came out May 20th 1997

Do YOU realize that the first Watchmen record was released in 1991? They had another in 1993 which started their success and they broke out with their 1995 album with the single 'Boneyard Tree'. Their biggest shot into the spotlight was in 1996 with the album Brand New Day as they released two Canadian radio rock staples with 'Incarnate' and 'Shut Up'; especially in 'Shut Up', Matthew Good based all of his vocal styles from that song.

Do you realize that the MGB used to OPEN for The Watchmen for years?

I DID not know THAT

Although since MG has been making records and singing pretty much the same way since 1989...I doubt he based his vocal style on a 1996 song...

The opening riff on 23 by Jimmy Eat World rips off Everything is Automatic.

YEAH!!! someone palyed that song for me the other day and I was like damn this is pathetic..

edit: ok I just d/led that jimmy eat world song and played it a few times while playing MGB, man that's like copyright infringement it's EXACTLY the same until they start singing. If you weren't super familiar with either song you could certainly mistake them for one another for the first 30 seconds.

Edited by prototypepariah

The opening riff on 23 by Jimmy Eat World rips off Everything is Automatic.

YEAH!!! someone palyed that song for me the other day and I was like damn this is pathetic..

edit: ok I just d/led that jimmy eat world song and played it a few times while playing MGB, man that's like copyright infringement it's EXACTLY the same until they start singing. If you weren't super familiar with either song you could certainly mistake them for one another for the first 30 seconds.

no, you wouldn't. different rhythm in 23 and it continues down the registar while everything is automaticgoes up. the two songs sound nothing alike after the first 7 or so seconds.

I think that so much of "ripped off" art is just numerous people seizing ideas that are "floating around" in the collective unconscious. I don't know how much I believe the idea of a floating collective unconscious, but there is definitely some inherent human process that causes people to come up with similar ideas at similar times. There was some scientific evidence circulating years back about how, if people unable to contact each other are given a puzzle to solve, after the first person has solved it, many of the others will solve it soon thereafter. It was like that with the telephone, and many things involved in genetics, and it's a lot like that with art, especially popular music.

Do you remember that time in the late 1990's when they released like four movies about a giant flood or earth-shattering natural disaster, and about that many movies about space travel simultaneously? And now they're releasing a lot of well-financed documentaries and having a lot of politically charged music. It's all about things that people are interested in rising to popularity. That's why I'd say a lot of music sounds alike. Unless it's composed by Richard Ashcroft (formerly of the Verve). But he's great at musical arrangements and construction, so he's got an excuse anyways.

Let's face it here, people. Everything nowadays is ripped off of somebody. There is nothing original out there. I am open to change, so if you find anything let me know. The most original stuff I have ever heard is by a friend of a friend's band called Te Belixo. It is ridiculously quirky, but makes for great driving music. Don't think you'll find them anywhere on the web though. Shame.