Minx333

Greatest Movies Of All Time

has anyone said Apocolypse Now yet? That's such a deserving movie. Even though it makes me fall asleep. Heart of Darkness pales in comparison to this film.

On that note, i really wish Orson Welles was able to make the Heart of Darkness film. That would have been amazing.

I'd also like to add Eraserhead to the list. Not because i'm a real David Lynch fan but more because it's one of the first movies to truly smash the rules of film in an effective way. Of course Jean-Luc Godard did this earlier, but he has so many amazing movies it'd be impossible to pick the greatest.

I'd also like to add Eraserhead to the list. Not because i'm a real David Lynch fan but more because it's one of the first movies to truly smash the rules of film in an effective way.

You're joking, right?

RIGHT?

For instance, check out Cocteau's Blood of a Poet from the early 30's (or hell, check out the entire Orphic Trilogy).

I'm not familiar with his work. But in the 1930's the rules of film technique were not nearly as polished and defined as when Lynch made Eraserhead (late 70s.) Therefore it would be a lot easier to destroy and/or alter cinema's conventions.

But you're right, i shouldn't say he was the first one to smash the rules of film. But i'm certainly not going to argue as far back as the 1930's when film hadn't even found a solid footing yet.

I'm not familiar with his work. But in the 1930's the rules of film technique were not nearly as polished and defined as when Lynch made Eraserhead (late 70s.) Therefore it would be a lot easier to destroy and/or alter cinema's conventions.

But you're right, i shouldn't say he was the first one to smash the rules of film. But i'm certainly not going to argue as far back as the 1930's when film hadn't even found a solid footing yet.

Film found a solid footing with D.W. Griffiths.

I'll go later in time, if that's what you'd like, and point out Ingmar Bergman's "Persona".

Some good titles on here so far (ie: Citizen Kane, Yojimbo, Evil Dead), so here's a few more.

King Kong (1933)

Stagecoach (1939)

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

The Searchers (1956)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Rio Bravo (1959)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

For a Few Dollars More (1965)

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly (1966)

The Godfather (1972)

Five Fingers of Death (1972)

The Godfather: Part II (1974)

Shogun Assassin (1980)

The Thing (1982)

The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew (1983)

C.H.U.D. (1984)

Ghost Busters (1984)

The Monster Squad (1987)

Die Hard (1988)

Die Hard 2 (1990)

SLC Punk! (1998)

Dogma (1999)

Payback (1999)

South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (1999)

Snatch (2000)

Donnie Darko (2001)

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

Walk the Line (2005)

EVERY SINGLE STAR WARS MOVIE!!!! (clones wars Volume one/two included)

The last man on earth

Dr strange love

The fifth element

2001 a space odessy

Old boy

South park movie

basketball

dirty work

city of god

pfft there are far too many good movies on this tiny little planet.

Edited by screaming roommate