Canadian outfit, pretty layered instrumentals and a whole helluva lot of tension and release. I picked up their album Yanquoi U.X.O. and it is definately worth trying (though I'd suggest trying to download some first, particularly the song Moya....not on this CD). I can't even begin to explain, but its wicked music to accompany writing a paper at 3 in the morning....or indulging in psychotropic pizza toppings ;)

There's nothing like waiting for the bus on a desolate road at 5 in the morning and listening to them. Makes you feel like the apocolypse has happened in your sleep and only you and the bus driver exist.

But in all seriousness, I'm a huge fan. Their diversity is insane. I don't even know where to start on all the other bands made up of these guys that are just plain amazing.

I love GY!BE so much. See my user title.

That band really kicks ass. Moya is one of the best songs i've ever heard. Also The Dead Flag Blues.

Fantastic band.

And if you like GY!BE, there's a good chance you will also like Explosions in the Sky.

Check out: Have You Passed Through This Night, and Poor Man's Memory.

I love GY!BE so much. See my user title.

That band really kicks ass. Moya is one of the best songs i've ever heard. Also The Dead Flag Blues.

Fantastic band.

And if you like GY!BE, there's a good chance you will also like Explosions in the Sky.

Check out: Have You Passed Through This Night, and Poor Man's Memory.

explosions in the sky effing rock.

explosions in the sky effing rock.

I know! It's incredible how this whole space-rock/instrumental/whatever (i have no idea what to call it) genre is so unknown; some of my favourite bands fall under this category.

Some more great bands of this style:

A Silver Mt. Zion (made up partially of GY!BE members)

Mogwai

M

Do Make Say Think kicks ass, too. And even if there does happen to be bands better than them, it doesn't mean they aren't still great.

More bands:

Fly Pan Am

Tarentel

Hrsta

1-speed bike

Elizabeth Anka Vajagic (a person, not a band)

Essentially, anything from Constellation Records (Canadian independent label), which is the label for almost every band in this thread. Read about Constellation here.

EDIT: I see now that Fly Pan Am and 1-speed bike have already been named by TheKwas. It is good to know others listen to this still relatively unknown genre.

Edited by Ravenous Yam