Prometheon

So What Matty Song Do You Like The Least?

Ok, I'll do this by CD, since I can't think of a particular song that sticks out as being my least favourite...

LOTGA: She's Got a New Disguise, I guess, although I do like the song. I like the whole CD, so it was hard to choose.

Underdogs: Invasion 1, Rico

Beautiful Midnight: Hello Time Bomb, Load Me Up... arguably because they were so overplayed.

Audio of Being: I don't have this CD handy so I can't judge right now.

Avalanche: A Long Way Down, Bright End of Nowhere... not terrible songs, just really drab compared to the rest of that amazing CD.

WLRRR: North American For Life, Poor Man's Grey, Put Out Your Lights.

Edited by indestructible

Picking my least favorite Matt Good song is tough, but one song that I always seem to skip nowadays in The Future is X-Rated. I originally liked the song but now, not so much. 90% of his early demos are my least favorite as well, but there are few songs that I will skip, other than X Rated.

My two least favourite are without a doubt Rat Who Would Be King and Advertising on Police Cars.

Rat has two great verses, but the chorus is weak. It takes way too long without changing and I lose interest fast. I would re-work it and put the verses back to back and then go into the chorus/ending.

Advertising, though, is one of those songs that I have never liked, right from the moment I heard the title, which is lame. This is like musical gruel to me. Hearing it three times this weekend on the tour didn't make me like it anymore. Why is it popular? People need to realize that "slower" doesn't mean "deeper"....whatever, though.

The Rooms version was better, anyway.

wow, how can one not like Advertising?? That song is amazing.. but then again, that is just my opinion.. The only song I can think of at the moment that I don't like, is Middle Class Gangsters. for some reason that song annoys me. I pretty much like everything else Matt has done.

I think all of his songs are crap...I don't even know why I'm posting in this forum. I especially don't like 'don't drink the water'... ;)

<joking>

Just a few comments on what I've been hearing so far, and my personal feelings about the songs.

IAWCC - I like this song. I don't listen to the lyrics but I do like the musicality of the song. There is more strings than what people are used to I think. I like the transition from the verse to the chorus.

Rat - It's slow, and repetative. I am not a HUGE fan of this song, but I do see the draw in it. I don't like the lyrics, especially at the beginning where he talks about blind squirrels and nuts. However, what I really do like is the 2nd chorus where the song really opens up into pounding guitars and drums at the end. I think I appreciate it partly because we are starved of that throughout the rest of the song. It's a great contrast.

Blue Skies - I really like this song. And although it's not been mentioned too much (or at all?) here, I'm mentioning it because it has been brought up to me as being repetative, much like Rat. The song is repetative melodicaly, but the harmonics change - the same melody is used as different devices in the musical phrase. Gord Downey (Hip) tends to use this a lot as well in his music. For some people, it's agonizingly repetative. For others, it's not. I think it actually make you listen to the words a bit more.

Advertising - I think people like this song because it's catchy. It has a great chorus; almost architypal chorus. It also sounds very sinister, so people think he's singing about something important. I don't mind it - like Capn' Rocket said 'slower doesn't mean deeper', but it can make it appear deeper.

In the end, it is all preference I guess. I don't need a song with a deep message sometimes. The message *IS* secondary. If it were the most important aspect of any song, people would just listen to songs once, since they got the message. The most amazing thing about music is that at any given point in time, it can make you feel a certain way, remember time past, or the same music can make you feel completely different from when you heard it before.

All of Matt's music makes us feel something, and that's sort of why we are all here right?

L.

Edited by lyuan

IAWCC is not too bad of a song, but I find myslef skipping it faiely often.

I have, in truth, only listened to sort of a protest sonf twice in my life. I didn't realy like it either time, but I think I need to listen to it more.

Been a while since I was your man is ok, but I skip it.

Breath of a nation is terrible.