Monkey

Tipping A Fool

this is a good thread.

I've always been a decent tipper, but I've always resented being pressured into paying people extra money for doing their job.

it doesn't make any sense that servers are "supposed" to get tips. cooks don't get tips, dishwashers don't get tips, neither do hosts etc. but because of the culture, servers often make about 3 times what other hospitality workesr make.

i used to be a dishwasher, and I worked harder than anyone else for minimum wage while servers made like 100 bucks a night on tips alone not including their regular pay.

some bartenders also act like you're being cheap if you tip less than a dollar a drink. it's ridiculous.

its loaded to the tits with all that safety shit, but if you run a laptop in your car to tune it, with most cars you have ther ability to turn it off, the G35 doesnt.

Um, I tip my kitchen, I also tip my host.

And just to be clear both the host & the cook get a higher hourly wage than I do.

Regardless whether there are customers or not.

And I would be happy to be paid a higher wage & forgo tips BUT you will see my higher wage reflected in higher menu prices for you.

Yah also, so restaurant's also share tips, it was called "tipout" at my work, all the tips went into a jar and it was divided out to everyone. I was a dishwasher and i got tips, it was sweet cause sometimes id get like 30-40 bucks inbetween my pay week and that always came in handy.

I find it hard to believe that any restaurant can LEGALLY forgo some sort of wage for their employees.

They can't. But there will always be somebody out there stupid enough to work for them anyways.

they can. it can be considered a commission. just like real estate agents only get paid when they sell a house.

Replace stupid with desperate and you'll have a more accurate sentence.

in certain situations, yes desperate times call for desperate measures... like working for 'free'. however, in situations like serving in a high end restuarant, the servers are usually very pleaseing to the eye, extremely personable, knowledgeable and they do an amazing job of creating an atmosphere that customers enjoy and remember. in turn for their unique traits, they make enourmous amounts in tips. keep in mind that restuarants and most establishments that pay their staff only on 'comission' usually add some sort of 'gratuity fee' to each and every bill. ensuring their server makes a decent profit from every table and more often than not, are presented with additional tips from their patrons on top of the required. but that's what you get when you please the elite, i suppose.

Although the A3, being front wheel drive (as my memory serves) probably isn't quite as fun for the sliding sidedways while spinning the tires.

quattro awd. so the donuts are tight and the drifting is fool proof.

Edited by one_trick_pony

Mmm, quattro. With the 3.2 litre V6 to boot.

That's one sweet ride you've got yourself there. I have to admit, I'm a bit partial to the A3 (even though I'm not much of a fan of the Audi/VW nose), especially considering it's nice compact hatchback, without being a stationwagon. I've got a bit of an obsession with sport hatchbacks... the Mazda 3 sport being one of them. I definitely love the rear fascia on the A3, though.

Um, I tip my kitchen, I also tip my host.

And just to be clear both the host & the cook get a higher hourly wage than I do.

Regardless whether there are customers or not.

And I would be happy to be paid a higher wage & forgo tips BUT you will see my higher wage reflected in higher menu prices for you.

you make more money than the majority of the other workers

Mmm, quattro. With the 3.2 litre V6 to boot.

That's one sweet ride you've got yourself there. I have to admit, I'm a bit partial to the A3 (even though I'm not much of a fan of the Audi/VW nose), especially considering it's nice compact hatchback, without being a stationwagon. I've got a bit of an obsession with sport hatchbacks... the Mazda 3 sport being one of them. I definitely love the rear fascia on the A3, though.

yes. i love the compact hatchback, when the protege 5 and then the 3 came out i was impressed, however, i knew they would be really popular with consumers so i waited for a sport/luxury model to come out and audi did the trick for me.

The 3 sport is definitely a nice car, but it's pretty pricey for an economy car if you want to get it with ABS... slightly over 30k with taxes, if my memory serves - and that's not considering the extra charge for a manual transmission. That's quite a bit of cash for what is undeniably an economy car, even though it's probably one of the most attractive cars on the road.

The 3 sport is definitely a nice car, but it's pretty pricey for an economy car if you want to get it with ABS... slightly over 30k with taxes, if my memory serves - and that's not considering the extra charge for a manual transmission. That's quite a bit of cash for what is undeniably an economy car, even though it's probably one of the most attractive cars on the road.

it costs MORE for a manual transmission???? what's the world coming to!?

Sorry, I meant to say an extra charge for an automatic transmission.

No, don't worry, the world still has its head on straight... the problem is that most people are willing to pay the extra cash for less performance, less fuel efficiency, less relability and more weight. Plus a whole lot less fun.

I think the problem lies with minimum wage, which some have said isn't the same as a living wage.

Try moving to NB, where minimum wage is $6.30.

ooooh yeeeaaah! B)

ah! i know. i had a bussing job back in NB where i made like $6.30 an hour and it was so tiring and horrible and i went home smelling like fish...

the minimum wage here in ontario is like... $8 (i think?) but i'm making $12 and i totally feel like i'm the shit.

Thanks to Gordon Campbell the minimum wage in BC is $6 an hour for "new workers" aka students.

The First Job/Entry Level minimum wage is $6 per hour. This only applies to employees with no paid work experience before November 15, 2001. After they have worked for a total of 500 hours with one or more employers, these employees are entitled to the regular minimum wage rate.

B.C.

I have always loved min wage. Let me see you want me to work for the lowest wgae that is legal... To take steal a line for Kids in the Hall. Why dont you work for minimum wage. Why doesnt your wife work for min wage.

minimum wage is cool until you get some brat who agrees to be hired at $8/hr, lies through his teeth in his interview about his strong work ethic, then bitches to all his co-workers about how hard he works for no rewards (raise).... meanwhile i came back from my head office to find him playing minesweeper three out of the past four days.

Minimum wage in NS is $6.50. I live with my girlfriend in a one bedroom apartment. Being a couple is definitely a kickass money saver.

$300 rent

$225 food

$40 phone, internet

$15 power

$60 bus pass

That's my half of the monthly bills. I book conference rooms in a hotel for $10 per hour so my bills are easily paid for with one pay but it would kinda suck if I were paying all on my own.

Edit: Also, minimum wage drives up cost of living. I hate inflation, raising minimum wage seems like it only hurts the middle class; lower class doesn't seem to get ahead at all.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

Here's what I learned today:

In the United States, if you're earning under 57k a year (in American funds), you are now among the bottom 75% of wage earners.

If you earn under 29k, you're in the bottom 50%.

And when you think about it, 57k a year in American funds sure isn't peanuts. And that's the top quarter of U.S. society.