Crusader

Laptop!

Well basically, I need a new laptop for class. My budget is up to $1700Canadian (taxes not included). Good ole RESPs.

What system would you suggest? I'm looking for powerful systems with a good battery life (3.5 hours min) of hopefully 6 hours. I don't want a Celeron based system but I'd be happy with any of your suggestions.

Right now I'm looking at some Toshiba's and their 'M' models look quite appealing but other brands like Acer, Asus, Dell, etc. would probably do fine too.

What I'm looking for:

- 1.7ghz+ processor

- wifi as well as a lan port (don't really need the lan port)

- must have a dvd burner

- 512mb ram

- 60gb minimum hdd (hoping for 100gb but okay with 80gb)

- a video card (intel integrated might do okay)

- battery life of at least 3.5 hours

- soundcard doesn't have to be great (integrated might also do okay)

- minimum 15.4" screen

- don't need a diskette drive

- windows xp home or pro (don't need windows media centre)

Post the model numbers if you've got them too please! (eg Toshiba M70)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm hoping to get one before January.

Thanks for reading guys!

I'm so satisfied with my Compaq Presario 2545EU, but you can get something much newer. It all depends on what you need a laptop for, if you want something small and light-weight because you'll be moving it around a lot or something just as powerful as a desktop computer.

Acer is crap

don't buy Acer. i've had many returns and complaints for acers.

some have problems with Compaq. HP isn't a bad brand either

personally, i'd go Toshiba. Great quality and product. I have two toshiba laptops and no complaints. Their tech support is awesome too.

And they have way better resale value than hp and compaq.

sony is a good buy as well, but $$$.

I'm on a Toshiba laptop right now. It's my brothers.

Cost something like 1700 bucks... works well enough, I guess. But I wouldn't have a clue about its gaming quality.

EDIT: come to think of it, it uses a Celeron processor... so gaming is probably a no-go, unless you can get one with those new Pentium 4 with mobile technology for longer battery life.

Edited by ecnarf

yeah, they are. mine was like $7,000,000. and that's just the base model.

haha...

yeah, they're really expensive, but you know what? they're worth it.

and i wouldn't have had this computer if i had shitty marks in my last 2yrs of high school. i made honors!!!!

Well basically, I need a new laptop for class. My budget is up to $1700Canadian (taxes not included). Good ole RESPs.

What system would you suggest? I'm looking for powerful systems with a good battery life (3.5 hours min) of hopefully 6 hours. I don't want a Celeron based system but I'd be happy with any of your suggestions.

Right now I'm looking at some Toshiba's and their 'M' models look quite appealing but other brands like Acer, Asus, Dell, etc. would probably do fine too.

What I'm looking for:

- 1.7ghz+ processor

- wifi as well as a lan port (don't really need the lan port)

- must have a dvd burner

- 512mb ram

- 60gb minimum hdd (hoping for 100gb but okay with 80gb)

- a video card (intel integrated might do okay)

- battery life of at least 3.5 hours

- soundcard doesn't have to be great (integrated might also do okay)

- minimum 15.4" screen

- don't need a diskette drive

- windows xp home or pro (don't need windows media centre)

Post the model numbers if you've got them too please! (eg Toshiba M70)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm hoping to get one before January.

Thanks for reading guys!

Actually, the Celeron M chips are quite good. The ones that are based of the P4's suck my nut (which is likely why you don't want one) but the ones based of Pentium M are the exact same chip minus a bit of cache. Their battery life is still very good and they're fairly cheap.

But with a $1700 budget, you can afford a real Pentium M so that's what I'd get ;)

Just remember that the more goodies you add, the lower your battery life. I'd stick with the onboard Intel video unless you plan to play games on the machine.

You should have a go at Dell's custom configuration thingy on their website. I find it fun when I'm not buying, so I would imagine it would be even more fun (not to mention useful) when you are!

I used to make honours. Till my mom got a job. Classic. SO I'd get a Mac, but the world hates macs. But then with that attitude, it always will. It's tough, yes?

i don't know why the world hates macs! maybe billy gates out in seattle is holding a gun to everyone's heads and threatens to blow them off (their heads) if they switch to macs! damn you bill gates! damn you to hell!

fuck my batt life is 2 hours max!! cost me 1k...I love my laptopthough...Battlefront 2 runs gooooooooodd. i got the toshib satellite seires

1.5, cleron M, 516 ram, 60Gig harddrive, radeo 128 vid card. wiresless internet. It's not bad for what I want to do with it but for sure not top of the line

Edited by Drizzt

I had to return my Acer the other day because the speakers quit on me. I am now also looking for a new computer and wondering if i should risk Acer again or go with the cheapest mac laptop... I'm not looking to spend as much as Anton though. Any suggestions for me???

I had to return my Acer the other day because the speakers quit on me. I am now also looking for a new computer and wondering if i should risk Acer again or go with the cheapest mac laptop... I'm not looking to spend as much as Anton though. Any suggestions for me???

I may be an idiot on this, but I dont think you can get a mac laptop for under $1700.

The one work got me was $3500ish (15" powerbook).

edit: ok nevermind the ibooks start much cheaper than that.

Edited by itchy