Shortcut To Moncton

Most Overrated MG(B) Song

What is the most overrated Matthew Good Band or Matthew Good song?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most overrated Matthew Good Band or Matthew Good song?

• 21st Century Living.
    • Advertising On Police Cars.
    • Apparitions.
    • Avalanche.
    • Blue Skies Over Bad Lands.
    • Born To Kill.
    • Fated.
    • Giant.
    • Load Me Up.
    • Near Fantastica.
    • Prime Time Deliverance.
    • Suburbia.
    • The Future Is X-Rated.
    • The Rat Who Would Be King.
    • Weapon.
    • While We Were Hunting Rabbits.

Avalanche is far less impressive than what everyone goes on about.

Why?

(8 characters)

Feels like he was trying too hard to sound more convoluted like, say, a band like Radiohead, but failed and pulled out a song that was more half-assed than anything else. I don't know its just my opinion but I don't think "Avalanche" comes even close to deserving the title of "Matt's Masterpiece".

Avalanche is a great song but it was stretched longer than it had to be and I think that made it less effective. the outro didn't seem to fit with the rest of the song, which is important because the outro is the last impression you're given.like much of the song, the outro appeared to be added on just to make the song longer. Near fantastica is the same story, the chorus kind of, went on . if you onlyhave enough material for a 4 minute song it should stay that way. There will always be people who proclaim "masterpiece" just because it's 7 minutes long and decent.

If you want to single out one masterpiece it would have to be prime time. that song is solid from beginning to end. it has better flow than any other mg song.

As for apparitions, it IS one of the best songs Matt's ever written. you guys are confusing "over-rated" with "over played". Songs like suburbia and failing the rorschach test, one of my favorites, have added dark horse appeal simply because they're not poplular. If FTRT was a single instead of apparitions, you'd get sick of it in the exact same way and apparitions would probably be even more of a dark horse. Apparitions is one of the strongest songs on underdogs and one of the strongest matt's ever written. it still holds up after being overplayed to death.

If you don't agree with me, keep in mind that half of you who're voting against apparitions can't even spell it.

Avalanche is a great song but it was stretched longer than it had to be and I think that made it less effective. the outro didn't seem to fit with the rest of the song, which is important because the outro is the last impression you're given.like much of the song, the outro appeared to be added on just to make the song longer. Near fantastica is the same story, the chorus kind of, went on . if you onlyhave enough material for a 4 minute song it should stay that way. There will always be people who proclaim "masterpiece" just because it's 7 minutes long and decent.

If you want to single out one masterpiece it would have to be prime time. that song is solid from beginning to end. it has better flow than any other mg song.

As for apparitions, it IS one of the best songs Matt's ever written. you guys are confusing "over-rated" with "over played". Songs like suburbia and failing the rorschach test, one of my favorites, have added dark horse appeal simply because they're not poplular. If FTRT was a single instead of apparitions, you'd get sick of it in the exact same way and apparitions would probably be even more of a dark horse. Apparitions is one of the strongest songs on underdogs and one of the strongest matt's ever written. it still holds up after being overplayed to death.

If you don't agree with me, keep in mind that half of you who're voting against apparitions can't even spell it.

Yes, don't get mixed up between overrated and overplayed. We are judging by the quality of the songs; not the number of times you've repeatedly heard it on your favourite radio station or at a Matt Good show which essentially might have caused a resentment.

I had to include singles; there's no way I could have left out songs like Near Fantastica, The Future Is X-Rated or Weapon. I was originally going to use Tripoli instead of Load Me Up but then I figured that everyone would jump on Apparitions (and they probably would).

In my mind Avalanche is a "Matt Masterpiece"... i would have voted Hello Time Bomb, but since i couldn't, i voted Fated... the sound/riff is good, but i don't get the lyrics, especially:

"I long to be dead

and sleep with the fishes under the sea

they can swim through my head

and stop all the traffic jams

stop all the traffic jams

and there'll be no light tonight

if I'm fated"

I mean, i don't really get the point.

These are all good to fantastic songs. That said, who would consider 21st Century Living overrated when it's really not a song that many people think of when they think "masterpiece".

I don't think any of these songs are overrated so I chose the one I liked the least out of the list.

"If you don't agree with me, keep in mind that half of you who're voting against apparitions can't even spell it"

Gold...pure gold...

Solid gold. I totally agree that Apparitions is a great song and the fact that it still holds up even after being overplayed on the radio makes it all the more great. Another song title that people need to learn to spell is Carmelina.

Police Cars, Avalanche, Born To Kill, Blue Skies, Prime Time, Suburbia, The Rat Who Would Be King and Hunting Rabbits are all on my top ten list so I would never consider them to be overrated. But I do understand how some people may see some of these songs as too stretched out.