whosthatcoolkid

Near Fantastica Lyrics

"after this mission it will let you go"

could be a possible reference to the US Military in Iraq. Once the "mission" there is finally over, they will soon be able to go home.

I see "this mission" as referring to your life...how you go to work, you buy products, consume, procreate, etc.

How the "system" (for lack of a better word) has a hold of you until you die...then it "let's you go".

That's always been my take on it.

I'm surprised no one has told you to "do your own homework" yet. But I like to be helpful so I'll put in my comments.

The "buried in the Earth" part says to me that the person is stuck in a situation they can't get out of, perhaps something that society demands of them. I support this with the "You are an important part of the computer" part. It seems to signify that the person is locked into a certain role and feel as if they're part of a machine that they want no part of.

"Born of the sea" I think represents a loss of something, perhaps innocence or free will.

"After this mission" seems to mean that people(society) will use you and will then cast you out if you're no longer needed or if you ask too many questions.

"Help you to forget" I always thought of as turning the person into an automaton or wiping their memory if they know too much about something top secret.

I support this with the "You are an important part of the computer" part. It seems to signify that the person is locked into a certain role and feel as if they're part of a machine that they want no part of.

in order to understand matt's lyrics you need to read them a certain way.

the "you are an important part of the computer" line is supposed to be sarcasm or a lie. why? because the line that follows is "you are still here and so made to figure..."

then the next time this line comes up is right before "but after this mission it will let you go" which i interpret as being "fired." so while you're here, you're made to feel important so you do a good job, and when the job is done, so are you.

if you think about it in the manner of a huge corporation (america - possibly) using their employees (soldiers - possibly) as pawns in a huge game (puposless war - possibly), almost every line falls into place. the propaganda the american government feeds to the young people of america by means of ads promoting the good life of being a soldier is the "you are an important part of the computer".

so the message of the song is, "here's whats happening, but don't worry because the only thing to fear is fear itself.... (can't fear fear. fear's a mind killer)"

Edited by one_trick_pony

I'm fairly certain that the "Born of the sea..." line references the extreme minuteness of life in the grand picture. "Born of the Sea" refers to evolution to our current state, and "Blink, the sea is dead" refers to how close our end is to our beginning (on an absolute scale of time). We came (ultimately) from the sea, and not only us but the sea that we came from will be gone almost instantaneously on a cosmological scale.