driftinginfluence

Matt's New Stuff Is Far Too Underated

Its interesting to see that the majority of fans prefer mgb stuff to mg solo stuff, which is weird to me because:

A) Matt's musicianship on the new stuff is better (esp Avalanche)

B) His singing has improved tenfold from mgb records

C) Avalanche is arguably the best album lyrically of anything he's done

D) the new stuff, like Blue Skies, Avalanche, WWWHR, Pledge, is much more epic, and has more varied instrumentation (liberty bells, pedal steel, timpani, choirs etc)

I am a huge fan of all his work but recently i have come to the conclusion that Avalanche is by far his best record, as much as i love AOB amd BM, i grew up to those records, but Avalanche is so good. Just an opinion, let the bashing + discussion begin!

Plus his live shows now are the best there has ever been.

Edited by driftinginfluence

I agree. I love all of Matt's music and even though it is tough to decide which album I like best, Avalanche is a totally amazing cd. From start to finish, it is extremely well done. Avalanche is the kind of cd that gets my creative juices flowing and I like to listen to it when I need time to think.

White Light Rock and Roll Review is a great cd too. I love all the songs on that disc and they sound great live. I love the sound of the guitar rift from Put Out Your Lights live, it totally kicks ass. Also, Little Terror is a song that I liked a lot more when I heard Matt play it live. The emotion of the song is captured better and the drums are great.

avalanche has to be my favorite album aswell, but i think people tend to like the MGB stuff a little more because thats what got them into Matt Good and depending on the mood of the individual i think BM has a real tendency to get me fired up with the harder songs. As of right now i cant stop listening to avalanche, the lyrics are brilliant (like every album) but the way the songs are made and put together its just an amazing thing to listen to

I completely agree also, it suprises me how many people here are MGB fans and less so of MG, not that they dont still like MG of course. But i far prefer his newer stuff and then his really really old stuff ( the almost folky stuff) much more then the "everything is automatic" era of his music.

I agree with Sim... as far as the solo stuff goes... Avalanche was perfection.... WLRRR was some what dissappointing... For me it had it's moments, but overall just didn't interest me as much. I'd take Beautiful Midnight and Audio Of Being over it in a second.

Considering the dramatic variation in between Avalanche and WLRRR I'm very curious if the next album (new) is a combo or something else altogether.

Disagree, just because he added some more instruments and made some songs longer does not make the music better than what the band did.

i really don't think length has anything to do with it, but regardless, it would be interesting to hear what audio of being would have sounded like if Matt had been able to do what he wanted, not to say it would have been better or worse, just interesting to say the least.

Matt always talks about how Beautiful Midnight was compromised to better suit the label's taste. I do love Beautiful Midnight, although I don't consider it to be as outstanding as anything that came after it. I sometimes wonder how amazing it could have been if it was made to it's full potential.

Also, I agree with driftinginfluence, it is not the length, but just more of an epic feel.

Edited by radio_bomb

Avalanche is my least favourite Matty CD.

I actuallt find it one of his worst ones lyrically. Look at the structure of a lot of the songs, like Pledge, Bright End of Nowhere and Long Way Down.

He basically just repeats the same verse but changes a few words. It makes the songs feel very repetitive to me, and he's continued this trend a couple times on WLRARR as well.

Here's an example in case you don't know what I'm talking about. On Bright End of Nowhere (which is probably my favourie song on that CD, but it illustrates the point very well):

Here's the bright end of nowhere

Here's the results of all our days

Used to lay on the roof and drink beer

And try and count up all the ways

That you could waste away

Looking back it seemed so simple

But having done it I couldn't say

Chorus

So here's the bright end of nowhere

Here's the commercial of all our days

Go on vacation and drink beer

And try and forget all the ways

We let ourselves get away

But having done it

It's not the same

It's things like this that give the songs a 'double chorus' feel. It's like, verse-->chorus-->repeat verse but change a word or two-->repeat chorus call it a song. I just wasn't huge on that.

Edited by Prometheon

I think the band had a lot of influence on the MGB songs too, and together it made their songs very good too. Also, I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Avalanche was what Matt Good wanted The Audio of Being to be. So, I think if he had gotten his way I would not have like The AOB very much.

Avalanche is my least favourite Matty CD.

I actuallt find it one of his worst ones lyrically. Look at the structure of a lot of the songs, like Pledge, Bright End of Nowhere and Long Way Down.

He basically just repeats the same verse but changes a few words. It makes the songs feel very repetitive to me, and he's continued this trend a couple times on WLRARR as well.

Here's an example in case you don't know what I'm talking about. On Bright End of Nowhere (which is probably my favourie song on that CD, but it illustrates the point very well):

Here's the bright end of nowhere

Here's the results of all our days

Used to lay on the roof and drink beer

And try and count up all the ways

That you could waste away

But having done it I couldn't say

Chorus

So here's the bright end of nowhere

Here's the commercial of all our days

Go on vacation and drink beer

And try and forget all the ways

We let ourselves get away

But having done it

It's not the same

It's things like this that give the songs a 'double chorus' feel. It's like, verse-->chorus-->repeat verse but change a word or two-->repeat chorus call it a song. I just wasn't huge on that.

Its fine if you don't like it, but I myself don't see the relevance to your arguement. Why are the verse similar? Because that's the intention, they are meant to work off of each other to get the point across, it's a very good songwriting tool. Great lyricists, be it Bob Dylan, Gord Downie or even John K, seem to find a better way to say things in fewer words as their work progresses, choosing to use less words and words with more impact to get their point across, which I think is the mark of a great writer. Someone can make each verse and/or chorus sound completely different and still write completely useless lyrics, turn on your radio right now and you'll equate with what I'm talking about. Its not about how many words he does or doesn't change, but which words he changes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's fair to say that the reason most of us are on this bored is because of Matt's lyrics, expecially those in songs like Pledge, which I would say sheds light on how he felt after the band fell apart, maybe it's just that as a writer I appreciate them more, dunno.

Discussion = good

I agree that Avalanche is his best album, but I disagree that it's the best album lyrically.  That goes to Beautiful Midnight for me.

That's what I was gonna say. I think (generally; there are some exceptions) lyrically MGB era songs surpass MG. Specifically BM and AOB.

Edit: Damn I should have read the entire thread. Way to seem like a jackass and contribute nothing. Go me.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow