driftinginfluence

The Eternal Debate: Lennon Vs. McCartney

Who is the better songwriter?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better songwriter?

• John Lennon
    • Paul McCartney

This is a such a hard choice. A brief overview of my fav beatles tunes that the two wrote and who as the primary songwriter, even though all songs were Lennon/McCartney (correct me if I'm wrong):

Paul > Sgt. Pepper's, Helter Skelter, Hey Jude, Lovely Rita,

Getting Better, Hello Good-Bye, Magical Mystery Tour,

Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Yesterday, Ob La Di, Paperback Writer, Let It Be, Get Back

John > A Day in the Life, Revolution, I Am The Walrus, All You Need Is Love, Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds, Help, Hide YOur Love Away, Dear Prudence, Ticket To Ride, Across the Universe, Come Together

I'm forgetting lots of their good tunes, there are many, this is just a start, I can't decide who's better.

i nulled my vote. i can't choose. as much as i don't like paul mcartney for the kind of person he is, john lennon is no better. lennon was a jerk (leaving a wife and son on their own). also, judging them by who they are and not the music they produced is silly. their actions are the only things that set them apart from one another. lennon had his gift for writing songs, the greats usually being psychadelic ones. paul has always had the ear for great pop tunes and rhythm.

one was good at one thing, one was good at another. the sum was greater than it's parts.

lennon was able to maintain a stronger career/following, post-beatles, but that doesn't mean much to me. also, people tend to love the dead ones. the meaning of the songs change once you've gained a knowledge of their death, so in that case, lennon has an unfair advantage. ha.

lennon was able to maintain a stronger career/following, post-beatles, but that doesn't mean much to me. also, people tend to love the dead ones. the meaning of the songs change once you've gained a knowledge of their death, so in that case, lennon has an unfair advantage. ha.

I will agree it is a hard choice and will admit I basically started this topic out of boredom, but do you really think "the meaning of the songs change once you've gained a knowledge of their death". I don't really understand this, please clarify. Are you referring to Kurt Cobain syndrome where if he hadn't of died he would not have been as big as he is today. Somehow people respect him so much as a martyr when he took the easy way out and ended his life leaving a young daughter behind(that's if you believe he killed himself, which many don't). I may have started a new topic with this post.

no i don't mean that and don't call it the "kurt cobain syndrome". he wasn't a martyr for any cause. he was troubled and ended his life. period.

i mean that peoples interpretations of lennon's songs changed once he was killed. so people look at the songs differently with the knowledge of that artist's death, and how that person died (if it wasn't of natural causes or considerred to be "before their time").

lennon was big during his lifetime, there's no doubt about that. had he lived longer, he still would've been regarded as one of the greatest songwriters (in popular culture) of the past 100 years. nothing changes there. but because people will feel that he was taken away from them "too soon" they add another level of importance to the songs that he managed to write during his time. they think about things like how sad it is that times have gotten worse and that no one can "give peace a chance" etc etc.

get it?

I wasn't implying that Cobain killed himself so he could be a martyr, i was commenting on the fact that he has been made out to be one by the press just because he died when he did. After reading your last paragraph i get what you mean, I will agree with the idea that "because people will feel that he was taken away from them "too soon" they add another level of importance to the songs that he managed to write during his time. they think about things like how sad it is that times have gotten worse and that no one can "give peace a chance" etc etc."

i don't think the doors are anything special. and whether you like hendrix or not, he was an amazing guitar player.

he's not anymore amazing than a lot of other guitar players, though. just like morrison isn't anymore amazing than a lot of other vocalists.

the best part of this post is how i kinda contradicted my own statement up thurr.

;)

Edited by mrs jesus

i'm glad saturnine supports me in my "the doors suck" theory. i thought i was the only one. all my friends like them so i hardly bring it up anymore. i just stay confused. the band got a lot of attention way back when for having that pretty boy of a lead singer, not for being good.

i read somewhere that people started REALLY carring after apocalypse now.

don't get me wrong, they had some good songs, but i don't think they're worth all the hype.

FYI, Strawberry Fields is a John tune, Paul just helped with the production.

I don't know. It all comes down to taste, and Paul wrote my favourite Beatles tunes so he gets my vote. That said, in the Beatles, I don't either was stronger than the other. Post-Beatles, John wrote a better album (Imagine) than any of Paul's, but still, I can barely make a full mix cd of songs I like from either of their solo careers.

i'm glad saturnine supports me in my "the doors suck" theory. i thought i was the only one. all my friends like them so i hardly bring it up anymore. i just stay confused. the band got a lot of attention way back when for having that pretty boy of a lead singer, not for being good.

i read somewhere that people started REALLY carring after apocalypse now.

don't get me wrong, they had some good songs, but i don't think they're worth all the hype.

it's so rare that you and i disagree on music

i don't know what to think about this ;)

FYI, Strawberry Fields is a John tune, Paul just helped with the production.

I don't know. It all comes down to taste, and Paul wrote my favourite Beatles tunes so he gets my vote. That said, in the Beatles, I don't either was stronger than the other. Post-Beatles, John wrote a better album (Imagine) than any of Paul's, but still, I can barely make a full mix cd of songs I like from either of their solo careers.

i stand corrected, Strawbery Fields sounds like a john tune, i should have known better. Paul's work after the the beatles was dissapointing to me, as he wrote so many good songs pre-wings (though i did here his new album is good). There is a mystique about John becuase he was shot, if Paul would have died it may have been different.