driftinginfluence

The Eternal Debate: Lennon Vs. McCartney

Who is the better songwriter?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better songwriter?

• John Lennon
    • Paul McCartney

I like maybe 3 Beatles songs, I don't really understand all the hype. I like a lot of Lennon's solo stuff though.

As I said in the other thread, I think The Doors are pretty good, but still overrated.

Nirvana have some okay songs but got as far as they did on their image mostly. Someone else could have been what Nirvana was pretty easily in my opinion.

Jimi Hendrix was pretty sweet. He made a lot really great music but I don't think you can call anyone the greatest guitar player ever.

What is it with left-handed, drug-addicted artists and dying when they're 27? Jimi, Kurt, Janis...

I like maybe 3 Beatles songs, I don't really understand all the hype. I like a lot of Lennon's solo stuff though.

As I said in the other thread, I think The Doors are pretty good, but still overrated.

Nirvana have some okay songs but got as far as they did on their image mostly. Someone else could have been what Nirvana was pretty easily in my opinion.

Jimi Hendrix was pretty sweet. He made a lot really great music but I don't think you can call anyone the greatest guitar player ever.

What is it with left-handed, drug-addicted artists and dying when they're 27? Jimi, Kurt, Janis...

I think it may be wise of you to open your mind a little when it comes to music. I used to be anti-hype myself but at some point you realize there may be a reason for said hype.

Nowadays Nirvana sounds like a lot of everything else that is coming out but they have a lot of really strong songs behind the sound, and not just image.

John Lennon post Beatles, both during the Beatles

as for Kurt Kobain, sure musically he wasn't a genius but a lot of those lyrics are close to genius man

I think it may be wise of you to open your mind a little when it comes to music. I used to be anti-hype myself but at some point you realize there may be a reason for said hype.

Nowadays Nirvana sounds like a lot of everything else that is coming out but they have a lot of really strong songs behind the sound, and not just image.

I'm honestly really not anti-hype. As I was writing the post I was thinking that that is how the post was probably going to come across though.

4 or 5 of my friends were huge Nirvana fans back in high school and every weekend we'd be hanging out in their basements or cottages and used to listen to thier albums all of the time. I've listened to Bleach, In Utero, Incesticide, Nevermind, Muddy Banks, Unplugged in NY. etc. I've got a burned CD with a couple of Nirvana tunes 'cause I enjoy listening to them but I just wouldn't buy any of their albums because I can't personally justify it for myself. I just find most of it boring, to be honest.

Same with the Beatles, really. All of my friends were really into them too; I've listened to countless albums (White Album, Revolver, SPLHC, Rubber Soul, Hard Day's Night, etc). I only remember most of the titles 'cause I happen to be talking over msn with one of my friends who I used to hang out with a lot in high school. I like Come Together, Happiness Is a Warm Gun, Let It Be is a really good song, but not many others really interested me. I've listened I just couldn't relate and a lot of the music just isn't sonically pleasing to me, I used to cringe a lot when we'd all listen to them.

Out of all 3 of the bands mentioned so far I probably like the Doors the most; I love Jim Morrison's voice. I'm really into a lot of tunes: Break on Through, The End, Light My Fire, People Are Strange, Rider's of the Storm, Hello I Love You, The Unknown, Roadhouse Blues, Waiting For The Sun, LA Woman, Love Her Madly, Love Me Two Times, Spanish Caravan. Those are all off of the top of my head, if I thought about it a bit more I could probably name another few. A lot of Jim Morrison's poetry really strikes a chord with me as well.

I just happen to think that these 3 bands got way more hype than they deserved. I've listened to countless albums for all 3 groups but I just don't understand what everyone seemed to see in them.

Like I said with Hendrix, I love a lot of his songs and own a number of albums myself but I don't think you can call anyone the greatest guitarist ever, there are just too many variables to take into consideration, many of which are all subjective. Phenomenal artist though.

Bob Dylan earned every bit of recognition he has, in my opinion. It was him and MG that inspired me to start writing.

I also like a fair amount of other popular artists. Some off of the top of my head: Metallica - although not much of the newer stuff, OLP - again not much newer stuff, The Hip are awesome, I own a lot of Radiohead albums, Neil Young is an amazing artist, Lynard Skynard kick ass, System of a Down are a very talented group, I even like a lot of Nickleback and Britney Spears' In The Zone album isn't all that bad either. Those are just some examples I saw scanning through my playlist.

It's not that I'm not open-minded, I just don't happen to care too much for some of the artists that were in question in the thread. Don't get me wrong though, I didn't feel attacked or anything and I don't feel you were unjust in making the comment, far too many people are closed-minded about music, and art in general.

I'm honestly really not anti-hype. As I was writing the post I was thinking that that is how the post was probably going to come across though.

4 or 5 of my friends were huge Nirvana fans back in high school and every weekend we'd be hanging out in their basements or cottages and used to listen to thier albums all of the time. I've listened to Bleach, In Utero, Incesticide, Nevermind, Muddy Banks, Unplugged in NY. etc. I've got a burned CD with a couple of Nirvana tunes 'cause I enjoy listening to them but I just wouldn't buy any of their albums because I can't personally justify it for myself. I just find most of it boring, to be honest.

Same with the Beatles, really. All of my friends were really into them too; I've listened to countless albums (White Album, Revolver, SPLHC, Rubber Soul, Hard Day's Night, etc). I only remember most of the titles 'cause I happen to be talking over msn with one of my friends who I used to hang out with a lot in high school. I like Come Together, Happiness Is a Warm Gun, Let It Be is a really good song, but not many others really interested me. I've listened I just couldn't relate and a lot of the music just isn't sonically pleasing to me, I used to cringe a lot when we'd all listen to them.

Out of all 3 of the bands mentioned so far I probably like the Doors the most; I love Jim Morrison's voice. I'm really into a lot of tunes: Break on Through, The End, Light My Fire, People Are Strange, Rider's of the Storm, Hello I Love You, The Unknown, Roadhouse Blues, Waiting For The Sun, LA Woman, Love Her Madly, Love Me Two Times, Spanish Caravan. Those are all off of the top of my head, if I thought about it a bit more I could probably name another few. A lot of Jim Morrison's poetry really strikes a chord with me as well.

I just happen to think that these 3 bands got way more hype than they deserved. I've listened to countless albums for all 3 groups but I just don't understand what everyone seemed to see in them.

Like I said with Hendrix, I love a lot of his songs and own a number of albums myself but I don't think you can call anyone the greatest guitarist ever, there are just too many variables to take into consideration, many of which are all subjective. Phenomenal artist though.

Bob Dylan earned every bit of recognition he has, in my opinion. It was him and MG that inspired me to start writing.

I also like a fair amount of other popular artists. Some off of the top of my head: Metallica - although not much of the newer stuff, OLP - again not much newer stuff, The Hip are awesome, I own a lot of Radiohead albums, Neil Young is an amazing artist, Lynard Skynard kick ass, System of a Down are a very talented group, I even like a lot of Nickleback and Britney Spears' In The Zone album isn't all that bad either. Those are just some examples I saw scanning through my playlist.

It's not that I'm not open-minded, I just don't happen to care too much for some of the artists that were in question in the thread. Don't get me wrong though, I didn't feel attacked or anything and I don't feel you were unjust in making the comment, far too many people are closed-minded about music, and art in general.

fair statement, this is the kind of discussion we need more of on here, stating your opinion but realizing it is your opinion, and not personally attacking someone who criticized your opinion about music.

and Kudos for admitting you like Britney Spears and Nickleback, as 99% of the people on here hate those groups (myself included), there's nothing wrong with liking anything, no matter how hated they may seem. Well done.

Yeah, I've got a pretty wide-spread taste in music. I mainly listed Britney Spears and Nickleback for the sake of showing that I'm into some "popular music" they're not anything special to me by any means. I don't particularly think Britney Spears is incredibly talented, but she does have some gems in her career. I like Nickleback more than Britney, they've actually got a lot of strong tunes and some good plain ol' rockers too, in my opinion.

And yeah, I like open and constructive discussion. You can't have that without honesty. And I always love gaining new perspectives about anything; especially what's important to me. You can't have that by tearing someone a new asshole.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow