josiegross

Avian Fear

the united states of america has closed it's borders to canadian poultry because of a single case of avian flu found on a bc farm, and despite the fact that every bird on that farm has been since slaughtered.

i used to see myself as extremely political and the most learned of all my friends, but would someone please explain to me why canada and the usa engage in trade in the first place?

the united states government rejected our beef after what turned out to be a mad cow problem 1% the size of their own, they've refused to pay us back the billions of dollars the NAFTA commission told them they owe us in softwood lumber tariffs, and now this. what do they have that we need so badly? why do we have to trade with them at all?

oh yeah, and now they've passed the ever controversial bill allowing drilling in the arctic wildlife refuges our governments jointly agreed to protect. when you go to play at another kid's house, and he steals all your toys and won't let you play with any of his, you pack up your shit, call your mommy and go home. right?

If it's here, then it's already in the US of A. Birds don't abide by national borders. The US gov will likely only try to cover it up to save money. Why would they spend money on a pandemic when they could be killing people in other countries for their oil?

i don't think it's that they just don't like us.

i think that they might think they're better than us. i mean, we're quiet, we're liberal, we're considerably more multicultural, we're everything their administration isn't. and i think that they probably look down on us. ever been to a church youth group? you know that feeling when you walk in and everyone wants to save you and thinks they're holier than you and they need to fix you?

i feel like the united states views itself as a sort of big brother figure. i don't think they know how smart we are, i think that they just want to push us around. and a lot of the time we let them.

remember how on september 11th canada took american planes that couldn't land in the us, we took care of thier people, we took care of thier visitors, and we didn't even get a thank you in the initial thank you speech? they expect it from us. we're like a booty call to them.

remember how on september 11th canada took american planes that couldn't land in the us, we took care of thier people, we took care of thier visitors, and we didn't even get a thank you in the initial thank you speech? they expect it from us. we're like a booty call to them.

To be fair, the rationale behind Bush not mentioning Canada in his State of the Union address was that if he did, he'd have to mention every single country in the world that assisted on that day, and in the days following. It was long enough as it was.

oh yeah, and now they've passed the ever controversial bill allowing drilling in the arctic wildlife refuges our governments jointly agreed to protect. when you go to play at another kid's house, and he steals all your toys and won't let you play with any of his, you pack up your shit, call your mommy and go home. right?

I thought that motion was narrowly defeated. I could be wrong.

here it is @ boston.com:

"Senate OK's oil drilling in Arctic refuge

Close vote kills bid to remove measure from budget bill

By Susan Milligan, Globe Staff | November 4, 2005

WASHINGTON -- The Senate yesterday narrowly approved a plan to allow oil and gas drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, paving the way for energy exploration in an environmentally sensitive region that has been closed to developers for more than four decades.

''We're stepping down the road to energy independence," a jubilant Senator Ted Stevens, Republican of Alaska, said after the 48-to-51 vote, which killed a last-ditch effort to strip the measure from a sweeping budget bill."

from cnn:the whole article

"With a 51-48 vote, the Senate approved requiring the Interior Department to begin selling oil leases for the coastal plain of the Alaska refuge within two years.

Repeated attempts to approve such drilling have failed in the Senate because drilling supporters were unable to muster the 60 votes needed to overcome a filibuster by opponents. This year, drilling supporters attached language ending the ban on drilling in the refuge to a budget measure that is immune from filibuster.

Opening the refuge, which was set aside for protection 44 years ago, has been one of President Bush's top energy priorities."

all of this is from nov. 4th, so maybe somethings changed. i'll keep looking

okay, found something from the 14th. it says here that the house has voted and the bill has been pulled. so we're both right.

Edited by josiegross

The best way to strengthen immune systems is to just eat off of crap. That should become national policy. Last year in October, we were doing a lab in physics - which is also the room in which i eat my lunch (chess club. Shut up.). We had to wipe down the tables with white, wet paper towels, which immediately turned a thick yellow-green. This was 2 weeks after our teacher had washed those table with disinfectant. I've been eating in there almost every day for the last 3 years or so and I've only been sick once (last week). Thus the adage is proven: what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. It's 2 am. What do you expect?

The best way to strengthen immune systems is to just eat off of crap. That should become national policy. Last year in October, we were doing a lab in physics - which is also the room in which i eat my lunch (chess club. Shut up.). We had to wipe down the tables with white, wet paper towels, which immediately turned a thick yellow-green. This was 2 weeks after our teacher had washed those table with disinfectant. I've been eating in there almost every day for the last 3 years or so and I've only been sick once (last week). Thus the adage is proven: what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. It's 2 am. What do you expect?

I haven't been sick in a ridiculously long time, and I, too, am robust and manly about my choice (or lack thereof, as the case may be) of hand sanitizers and eating surfaces.